University of Toronto or Western Ontario

Yiruna

Ok, so I'm aiming to get into Computer Engineering as my top priority, the ONLY course I desperately want to do. So I wanted to ask you all what are my chances of getting into either UoT or Western with my current grades. And these are based on my mocks, sans EE+TOK bonus points, which I epically failed at cause of a damn ear infection on the week =.="

Ok so here are my subjects which are

Higher subjects

Maths - 4

Computer Science - 4 for my mocks, gonna try to up this.

English - 5

Standard

French - 5

Geography - 7

Physics - 3, again, gonna raise this to a 4 with my IA's. And also because our teacher is total crap and our class average is like, 2, so a 3 is actually considered above average in our class right now.

Ok, I know that these current marks are really really crap but I really need to get into Western which is my first choice or UofT, my second. However, I also do some extra curricular activities such as piano lessons, flute lessons, visiting the elderly(community service), badminton courses, helping with school clubs and I plan to do one month's worth of work experience at an engineering site.

So Opinions please? :P

Just curious, how come not Waterloo or Queen's for engineering? Usually whenever someone mentions going into eng, Waterloo, U of T and Queens are their top choices haha.

And to be honest, right now the chances aren't that great..I don't know about UWO but I think U of T will require at least 5 in maths and physics. All eng programs will also require chemistry (or at least the ones in Ontario, for the most part) so if you're not taking IB chem then make sure you have grade 12 chemistry.

For UofT engineering, you only apply to colleges for residence, not for any courses that you take. So, which college you apply to does not affect the difficulty of the major/courses you take. This is for engineering only. As for life sciences, I believe choosing which college you apply to plays a big part in your academic life, not just your residence.

This is a nice blog by a student from life sciences at UofT. It answers many questions about the student life there, admissions, and other interesting things. You can also email the person and ask him your questions.

I'm taking Computer Science next year at UW and they want a minimum of a 6 in HL Math.

I'm pretty sure Computer Engineering will require the same thing so I suggest you practice a lot of Math this summer and lioke __inthemaking said, you need Chemistry. I could not apply for any engineering programmes because I didn't take IB Chemistry.

Wow, is chemistry actually necessary in engineering? o.o

I mean, I know that you do basic engineering stuff in your first year but is it really not possible to apply for ANY engineering in any university with my current subjects? I checked Western's engineering requirements and they never said that IB Chem was required, only 30 points minimum......

International Baccalaureate:

Candidates must be completing the International Baccalaureate Diploma. While most of our programs require higher scores, students must have a predicted score of at least 30 to be considered for admission to the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering. Applicants with a predicted score of below 4 in any of the pre-requisite subjects will not be considered for admission. Consideration is given for pre-requisite courses completed at the Higher level. Admissions requirements for students completing the IB diploma are as follows:

Mathematics (Math Studies is not acceptable)

Chemistry

Physics

English

Please note that the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering does not grant advanced standing credit for courses completed in the IB Diploma program.

^ Taken from the U of T site for admissions into engineering.

What is the Common First Year?

All first-year engineering students take the same courses allowing you to experience all disciplines before deciding on your area or program of specialization.

Common First Year Courses:

ES 1021a/b Properties of Materials

ES 1022a/b/y Engineering Statics

ES 1036a/b Programming Fundamentals for Engineers

ES 1050 Introductory Engineering Design and Innovation Studio

AM 1411a/b Linear Algebra for Engineers

AM 1413 Applied Mathematics for Engineers I

Chem 1024a/b Chemistry for Engineers

Phys 1026 Physics for Engineering Students

1.0 Non-technical Elective

^ Taken from UWO engineering site. If you notice, ALL 1st year eng students take the same 1st year courses, you only start to specialize in 2nd year. And you have to take chemistry for engineers, which requires grade 12 chemistry as a prereq:

This course provides a basic understanding of the following topics: gas laws; chemical equilibrium; acid-base equilibria; thermodynamics and thermochemistry; chemical kinetics; electrochemistry. Restricted to students in Engineering and Geophysics programs.

Antirequisite(s): Chemistry 1050 or the former Chemistry 1020 or 020, 021, 023, 025.

Prerequisite(s): Grade 12 U (SCH4U) Chemistry.

Basically you HAVE to have either IB chemistry or grade 12 chemistry to apply to eng in Ontario. If you're not taking IB chem then you can't apply to U of T with IB marks, you will have to apply with your regular school marks and grade 12 chemistry course.

Edited by __inthemaking

I've heard that if you want to apply to U of T engineering and you're not taking IB Chem, you can opt to take SAT Subject Test in Chemistry (which is much easier IMO) and just send the score of that with your transcripts. You'll have to make sure of that with the people in admissions though.