Sources for Economics Portfolio

Ladies and Gentlemen,

After snooping around in the Economics section of this board and using the search tool, I couldn't seem to find any links to internet sites, where you can read economics articles and possibly find one that suits a prospective commentary.

So I came up with this idea that we can link websites that normally have relatively good articles to each other, so people can read them on a daily basis and eventually find some articles for their furture commentaries.

I don't know if this will work out, but it's worth giving a try.

Google News is a great source! It is updated like every 5th minutes and in the search box you can for instance search wine demand/pork demand/tobacco tax and everything relevant of today will pop up!

http://www.bbc.co.uk is fine too. Either go into the business section and look around or use the search option. Mostly bbc has news regarding oil, but sometimes other interesting things such as cars.

http://www.cnn.com

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business

http://news.sky.com/skynews/

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/

... And I'm out of sites! :D

I hope some can contribute to this :)

At last but not least: Happy article hunting!

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

Another quite nice homepage is http://www.economist.com/ . However, I think it is needed to subscribe for this. Nevertheless, the magazine itself is quite interesting and good. Our Economics teacher recommends it non-stop :P

Are you actually allowed to use The Economist for IA articles? I doubt it... (at least my teacher doesn't let anyone use them) just because it does the bulk of the analysis for you and you're supposed to do this on your own. Maybe it's good to read them for your own personal interest, though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me what we suppose to do in economics portfolio?

Which kind of topics we should choose in order to get a good work done?

You are supposed to pick a news article relating to what a section of the syllabus that you have learned in economics and write a 650-750 word commentary about it, analyzing what is happening. So if you find an article on an increase in demand for wheat, for example, then you could read the article and try to find the reason why it is happening, draw a diagram showing what would occur if demand increases, what would happen to the equilibrium price and equilibrium quantity (Pe would increase, Qe would increase), and the effect of an increase in equilibrium price or quantity. Note that this example is very basic, there are tons of other things you could include in your analysis like PED/PES, etc.

Check out this link for some more tips:

:gluck:

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what we suppose to do in economics portfolio?

Which kind of topics we should choose in order to get a good work done?

You are supposed to pick a news article relating to what a section of the syllabus that you have learned in economics and write a 650-750 word commentary about it, analyzing what is happening. So if you find an article on an increase in demand for wheat, for example, then you could read the article and try to find the reason why it is happening, draw a diagram showing what would occur if demand increases, what would happen to the equilibrium price and equilibrium quantity (Pe would increase, Qe would increase), and the effect of an increase in equilibrium price or quantity. Note that this example is very basic, there are tons of other things you could include in your analysis like PED/PES, etc.

Check out this link for some more tips:

:gluck:

The best way to write an economics IA, i have found, is to have an introduction, explaining the article. using a quote would be a good idea. then you can say what the problem or the solution being offered is, and what is it's impact. draw the diagram, and explain it. and then evaluate. it's basically like doing a 15 mark evaluation question, but it's typed, and you're finding the question which needs to be answered.

hope that helps! :)

• Like 1

Can I add that it is not advisable that articles be taken from any sort of business or economic newspaper or journal because it is highly likely that they will provide an economic commentary on the incident already. The entire purpose of the IA is to find a news article and attempt to extract the economic theory and principles from that story. So taking articles from the Finical Times is not advisable as it is likely to have already extracted the economics from the incident and done the work for you. Even if your teacher says its fine, if your portfolio is sent off for moderation, it will certainly trigger off alarm bells in the moderators mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Can someone help me with identifying the article's source? I read it online that the articles have to come from 4 different sources, but what exactly does it mean? From 4 different websites or what? For example, I took one of my article straight from Reuters, and another one of mine I took it from CNBC - but the CNBC one is actually taken fron Reuters. What do I do now...?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Here's an important tip: try to avoid using websites like economist.com for your chosen article, as the articles have already been analysed from an economist's perspective and you may lose marks.

Needless to say, you might want to refer to it in your commentary, but make sure that your main article does not come for such websites.

Hope that helped. :)

Cheers!

Edited by J500
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://pearsonblog.campaignserver.co.uk/

Sloman Economics is what saved my life. In the search bar on the left you can search for whatever you want to write your IA about (ex.// "exchange rates" or "fiscal policy") and you'll be given different current news topics that relate to that subject, with links to many different news sources. 

It's also really useful because my friend and I could say write on the same topic (ex.// price wars in british supermarkets), but we can use different articles from different news sources. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...