History Paper 3 - History of the Americas

IBdem522

I did 14 (FDR's New Deal opposition), 15 (social and economic effects of WWII, about Argentina) and 22.

I felt very well-prepared for the New Deal question- our teacher definitely over-prepared us for any inter-war questions on paper 1- and due to last-minute studying of Latin American dictators, I felt really good about 15 (I also answered the Peron question on paper 2, ha). 22 I was not so sure about and I think I screwed up a lot of chronology things, but felt more comfortable with it than any other questions. All in all, I'm glad to be done with the history papers now. :]

i did 5, 6 and 19. for the one about kennedy's foreign policy, i talked about the cuban missile crisis. does cuba even qualify as part of latin america?

Yeah, Cuba does :angry:

I did the one about the North winning the US Civ War... what'd you say to that? Did you agree with it?

And I talked about the Kansas-Nebraska problem... it was simple, yet confusing. I wanted to say of course pro-slave groups still had plenty of power.. How did you balance that, if you answered it?

For the last one I talked about opposition to FDR's New Deal. It was pretty straightforward.

i did 5, 6 and 19. for the one about kennedy's foreign policy, i talked about the cuban missile crisis. does cuba even qualify as part of latin america?

Yeah, Cuba does :angry:

I did the one about the North winning the US Civ War... what'd you say to that? Did you agree with it?

And I talked about the Kansas-Nebraska problem... it was simple, yet confusing. I wanted to say of course pro-slave groups still had plenty of power.. How did you balance that, if you answered it?

For the last one I talked about opposition to FDR's New Deal. It was pretty straightforward.

For the one about the north winning the war, i agreed with it. I talked about Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation for manpower and the use of their resources to blockade southern ports, ultimately destroying their economy.

For Kansas-Nebraska, i also said that the pro-slavery group's power wasn't really destroyed at all. I don't exactly remember what i talked about, it was a weird question i thought.

Yeah, I think I said that manpower and industrial resources were very important, but I also said that chance and some other factors played significant roles. I hope I didn't come off as wishy-washy haha

Thank you! I agree, it was a weird question. I tried to approach it systematically and I said the question was ambiguous. I started analyzing the sentence and talked about how the problem could refer to the concept of popular sovereignty or Bleeding Kansas. Then I went a little TOK and talked about different perspectives. I think they're either going to like it or think it's complete crap. heh

I did the Kansas- Nebraska problem too. I spoke about how yes it did minimize their power by reigniting the debate on slavery and also caused Bleeding Kansas but I said that other factors also minimized their power such as the Compromise of 1850... I hope I did OK but I felt that I kind of didn't answer the question, rather just twisting it to suit the stuff I knew :)

I didn't answer the Kansas-Nebraska question, but when we had to go to school yesterday, my class reviewed the paper 2 and paper 3 questions with our history teacher. None of us had remembered enough pre-20th century American history to answer that question, but when our teacher noticed it, he was really annoyed by it. He just flat-out stated it was an inherently flawed statement and that he would have had no idea how to answer it. He's the best history teacher I've ever had and works in the history department of a university near us as well, so if he took issue with that question, I would hope IB scores it with some leniency. As long as you established an argument and showed you had knowledge of the topic, I'm sure you'll be fine. :]

TZ1

2. Evaluating whether an independence movement was due to a clash between peninsulares and creoles... Said no to a strong extent, talked about Simon Bolivar and enlightenment ideas + mercantilism w/ Gran Colombia

15. World war II's social and economic effects on a country - Did Brazil's Getulio Vargas... Estado Novo and Volta redonda incidents... threw in expropriation of oil and electricity

17. JFK and foreign policy on a country during cold war - Did Cuba... Alliance for progress, School of the Americas, Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis

What I dont get is how people wrote like 3 sheets per essay. I ended up writing 6 sheets total, 12 sides front and back.

I didn't answer the Kansas-Nebraska question, but when we had to go to school yesterday, my class reviewed the paper 2 and paper 3 questions with our history teacher. None of us had remembered enough pre-20th century American history to answer that question, but when our teacher noticed it, he was really annoyed by it. He just flat-out stated it was an inherently flawed statement and that he would have had no idea how to answer it. He's the best history teacher I've ever had and works in the history department of a university near us as well, so if he took issue with that question, I would hope IB scores it with some leniency. As long as you established an argument and showed you had knowledge of the topic, I'm sure you'll be fine. :]

Thanks! that's made me feel much better! :D