I may want to study law. Math SL/Math Studies? Will a choice between those affect my options?

stylusdef

Hm...Hard question as it really depends what universities you're planning on applying to.

Some universities in Britain taht I know, do not accept Math studies for any courses whatsoever - they just don't consider it "good enough". So, in that sense having SL Math is a necessity. However, take a look at http://www.ucas.ac.uk/ and find teh courses at the universities your interested in. There should also be a list of reuirements in regards to Ib grades and subjects. If it doesn't state anything in particular about math qualification, I would e-mail the institutions just to make sure you don't "waste" any spots on your final application becuase you weren't aware of the requirements.

All in all, I think many universities are most interested in your highers and your grades for these subjects, so if you get a 4-5 grade in your SL math, I don't know how that would effect your overall application other than possibly pulling your total amount of points "down".

My personal advice though would be to choose the subject you are most comfortable with, but don't be afraid of challenging yourself. =)

for law even the best Universities in the UK won't give a damn :P I remember someone from TSR taking math studies and having an offer for cambridge. Her offer was of course overall 42 points :P so it would be better off for you to take studies and guarantee yourself a better grade rather than have a more of a challenge in SL and get a worse grade.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest whatever

I have been looking at university requirments for a while now in the UK .

I didn't see anyone that restricts the level of math you take . Most of them cared about the level of English you are at.

I don't the level of math is really important for law , you should just consider subjects were you can read alot and think critically (language subjects at higher level) or Economics or History

• 1 month later...

DEFINITELY DO MATHS STUDIES!

For law, the aim is to get the highest number of points possible and maths studies is an easy 7 if you put enough effort into it. I have applied for Law this year and so have my friends and we're all doing maths studies! Among us, we've got offers from LSE, KCL and Warwick, easily within the Top 5 unis in Britain!

Don't worry about it, definitely do studies! :(

Are you set on doing law? Because you said you "may" do law later on. If you're SURE that you're going into law, then do math studies, as it is easier. If not, then I would suggest you take math SL because it opens up your options a bit. Like if you decided you suddenly wanted to go into science, you won't go anywhere with math studies.

Personally I think math SL is also really easy..90% of the IBers at my school ended up with a 7 in math SL last year.

• 7 months later...
Hey. I may want to study law at university later on.

If I choose Math Studies instead of Math SL, will this reduce my chances of getting into "better" law schools?

If you want to study law, is it better to have a 6 or 7 in math studies, than to have a 4 or 5 in Math SL?

Hi. I refere to the person responding to your question. What about economics/business studies? Does it matter what kind of math I have studied?

Hi. I refere to the person responding to your question. What about economics/business studies? Does it matter what kind of math I have studied?

For pure economics courses, many universities want HL Math because economics in university IS very challenging. However, those that are combination courses, or have economics as a sub-unit, would only require SL Math. Don't take Math Studies, it won't look good since you are applying to study a mathematical subject.

For UK universities, look at www.ucas.com , and search for economics courses. They have different requirements according to each university. For example, Edinburgh requires 34 points overall and "555 required at Higher Level. If Maths at HL is not offered then SL Mathematics at grade 4 or SL Math Studies at grade 5 required." This is for a Economics and Business course specifically.

On the other hand, Leeds wants 33 points and "16 points at higher level, 5 in Economics or Business & Management (if taken), 5 in English and 5 in Mathematics." This is for a Business Economics course.

So it really depends on the individual standards of the university. All of this information was found on UCAS, by clicking entry profiles next to the relevant course and then choosing "Other Tariff Qualifications".