I believe my TOK teacher unfairly corrected my essay

Mikky

As the title suggests...

I got a 12/40 for a renewed IB1 ToK essay (original grade was 18/40), and got warned that if this were my IB2 essay, I'd basically fail ToK.

Though this isn't A* work by any stretch of the imagination, and yes, I probably could put more effort into it, I think he judged it completely unfairly as i had full confidence my grade would rise by at least a few marks after improving on the original. Instead it dropped by 6. Main complaint was that i threw claims and arguments around with no base to prove them. (Probably true - but again, I still don't believe it to be 12/40 bad)

note: we don't even use a ToK book - he made his own and we use that to go through the syllabus

Tell me what you think, maybe I really did do terribly, in which case I'd like to know what I should improve upon :P cheers

edit/added:

In classes, we tend to walk in and some abstract topic is picked. Mostly unrelated to any core ToK, SOMETIMES based on what we read in the book.

Either way, in every lesson it always trails off by a student or teacher asking a question (like today - some student asked if he believed in 2012) and the whole class then goes on about a pretty...empty talk about that topic. Bell rings, no conclusion, or really anything that related to ToK has been said. Next lesson, rinse & repeat.

Also, I'm not the only one to get bad grades. Everyone in the class had gotten grades on the 10-20 mark on the first essay...(23 students who feel more or less the same way) I don't know how common this is in IB, but the fact that 90% of the renewed essays got worse I'd imagine isn't.

Finally I can't compare his ideas of ToK with the real syllabus well enough as he's the only teacher around.

If this isn't your final draft, which it doesn't appear to be, don't worry. Your teacher can't mark your final essay unfairly, since he is moderated.

We did not use a ToK book either and our teacher has been deputy chief examiner and uses to teach other potential ToK teacher, so to not use a book is not necessarily a disadvantage. Actually, I've never seen the syllabus either.

I haven't read your essay, but I suggest that you calm down, ask your teacher what you can improve and try to do a better one next time. Because as long as it isn't your final, it's not important.

I do not think that it is 12/40 essay. It is not a good essay I must say considering you kept going away from the title and light some 'related issues' while ToK really seeks for an essay solely concentrated on the title of the essay, yet I still believe that 12/40 is a bit harsh.

But again, I suggest you to calm down. Having harsh grader in your school helps a lot as there would be less possibility of you being marked down my examiner. :P Think positive.

Edited by tdubthebassist

No - it isn't my final draft. But there HAVE been cases where he graded students very high, and they were almost failed and vice versa, therefore my worries.

I have talked to him - the reason I even know my grade is because I had the worst of what he corrected so far. Like I said - some of his points are valid and I plan to improve on them in future. Still I believe the grade to be simply TOO low. 20 or so seemed more rational for me.

Either way, thanks for the reply :P and sorry for possibly over-exaggerating. I'm just aggravated by this whole situation

edit: going off-topic was indeed one of the main issues. So I do plan on improving that in the future either way.

Edited by Mikky

One criteria for ToK essays that students often forget about is relating whatever claim you make to real-life situation, it shouldn't be too philosophical or complex, and certainly isn't a language exam. In every essay, you have to address at least three knowledge issues.

And ToK examiners, or at least the examiner in our school like straight to the point responses and dislike repetition. They also like individuality and independent thinking.

You also need to remember that this essay is far from being done, the deadlines are not until like October so chill :P