Portfolio Type II -- Running with Angie and Bonnie

HelenaStage

Hello everyone,

I am doing the second portfolio and I was almost finished (or so I thought) when I noticed a pattern. When I plotted the distance between A and B in a run as a function of the time running, I found that there seemed to be a pattern...

I have an equation in the form y=ax^2+bx+c, where I already have the value of c (Original distance between the two?)

I am not looking for answers or anything the like, but merely wondering if anyone had done if and if so, if they could give me a hint as to which direction I should pursue...

Thanks beforehand :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, im doing the same portfolio and im now where eve close to starting it with the due date being in 5 days....could you please give me an idea which would allow me to start....please :P......thanks :)......and once im startedi can help you too.. :yes:

Hey, im doing the same portfolio and im now where eve close to starting it with the due date being in 5 days....could you please give me an idea which would allow me to start....please :)......thanks :)......and once im startedi can help you too.. :yes:

Have a look at the time intervals... they reveal a lot! I'm afraid it's too late for you to help me since I handed in the portfolio 2 weeks ago... :P

You know how in the portfolio you are supposed to find the co-ordinate points of buddy? Do you need to find angles in order to find the coordinate points?

I've been able to find some coordinate points without finding any angles at all (by using similar triangles and Pythagorean theorem) but I've seen my friends talking about using angles and stuff. I know the portfolio instructions specifically says about buddy's change of angle but I didn't really need to find the angles for anything. That's why I'm kinda scared and have a feeling that I might be doing something wrong.

Also, are we allowed to use a recursive formula generator to find the recursive formula?

and any ideas on what kind of geometric software should be used?

Thanks!

Edited by saffana syeed

You know how in the portfolio you are supposed to find the co-ordinate points of buddy? Do you need to find angles in order to find the coordinate points?

I've been able to find some coordinate points without finding any angles at all (by using similar triangles and Pythagorean theorem) but I've seen my friends talking about using angles and stuff. I know the portfolio instructions specifically says about buddy's change of angle but I didn't really need to find the angles for anything. That's why I'm kinda scared and have a feeling that I might be doing something wrong.

Also, are we allowed to use a recursive formula generator to find the recursive formula?

Thanks!

Can you please help me find a recursive formula generator because my teacher told me we are allowed to use them

Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Actually i m also having problem with that but i may solve your query no matter how late i am. if you are going to find coordinate of buddy the you need to use vector components. Horizontal component subtracted frm gonna give you x cordinate while vertical component going tp give you y co ordinate of buddy. and angle θ= arctan(( y cordinate of angie- y cordinateof buddy)/ x cordinate of buddy).

if you have got more query then you may reply. and also do help me regarding modelling part. and what about type 1 part b patterns within system of liner equations

Edited by Mahuta ♥
Please do not use text speak on the forum, thanks- Maha :)
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does the 'data provided by teacher' vary from school to school, country to country or is it all the same?

I think the time interval at which Buddy looks at Angie and change direction varies. And also the initial distance between Angie and Buddy.Coz when i asked my maths teacher to change these factors, he allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

im done with my angle and distance thing..then,what i need to do..i couldn't see any pattern or maybe i don't know what patter the diagram is showing..what model do i need to create..can someone explain this thing further :)

due date this friday--im kind of crazy right now x__X

Edited by Mahuta ♥
Please do not use text speak on the forum. :) Maha

hello everyone! i'm new here. can anyone explain the use of geogebra in this portfolio? and as for the range of speed, do we used average human and dog speed? my teacher told one of my friend that the graph would look more proper if A is running faster than B. but i thought dogs run faster than human?

• Like 1

I'm completely lost with this portfolio and the due date is tomorrow, HA!

My friends and I haven't found an exact ratio for A and B to meet at the same point exactly, is there a formula, theorem, explanation or something that I can use in order to find the ratio instead of just placing random values...?

i have the same portfolio and its due this friday except i have no idea what I'm doing! How do you construct a diagram to plot the position and directions of both runners? And how do you use trigonometry to find the coordinates of several points where Buddy changes direction? My teacher mentioned something about using a recursive formula? Right now I have Buddy running at 10.0 m/s and Angie at 5.0 m/s. Our teacher told us that they are spaced 100m apart and Buddy looks up every 2 seconds. If his slop is 20m each time before he changes direction, how do I find his horizontal and vertical change in distance? Any technology I can use or formulas? PLEASE HELP!

oh my god! i didnt expect questions like how do you begin on this thread :) i guess all the math pros dont need to use ibsurvival. does anyone know how to find a equation for buddy catching up?

i tried doing my model in excel using mainly the cosine rule rule and sine rule - of course it fails once Buddy reaches the river...

but you can of course use trig on squared paper to find all the lengths and angles and ultimatley the coordinates of buddy

Edited by mvosicky

• 2 weeks later...

can someone help me get started?? do you figure out an equation based on the information your teacher gives you and where you want buddy and angie to meet??? do you come up speeds for each and then decide on the function??? im a little confused.....

You decide the speeds, then find the coordinates of Buddy's position at different times based on the speeds and the info your teacher gave you. Then you figure out the equation.

• Like 1