Portfolio Type II -- Running with Angie and Bonnie

HelenaStage

Once chosen the speed of both Angie and buddy, the period and the distance, you draw the graph. The thing is, when you have the triangles, in order to find out the coordinates of buddy, how do you get them?

I have drawn the triangles, and I have tried out the tipical Sen A = a/c and all that stuff, but I don't know how to find out that angle.

It's hard to explain. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? ;)

No, unfortunately I also used Excel.....I suck at Excel, and I think my failage tech skills must have ruined a lot of the simulations I did in the portfolio. How many simulations did you end up doing?

DANG! Do we have to make ACTUAL simulations? I don't know how!

Please help! Can someone give me a link or something that'll teach me how?!

Edited by 2401 Tangents
no text speak

Well, I'm a few days into it, and I was thinking about using trig to find the recursive formulas. Anyway what I am really looking for is a good program to do the simulations.

I have excel but I am wondering if whether you guys know of any better programs? Thanks :)

We didn't have to actually do the simulations? I was stupid and procrastinated, so I didn't discuss everything with my friends (that and most of the other math HL people in my grade are extremely competitive and secretive). I already handed mine in, but if you find that we were/are supposed to do the actual simulations, I used the "fill down technique" on Excel (I think that's what it's called). It's the one where you can drag and get values. I couldn't find a Youtube video on it though. But then again, that might be my really sucky search/tech skills. Also, my version of Excel is really messed and seemed not to work the same as everyone else's, including the fill down technique (that's also why I'm worried that it messed up my values, most of which I didn't look over).

Edited by wombat123

Oh I don't know..... I don't even know where to begin!

What values did your teacher give you? Because my teacher didn't give us any values. And now she's in Japan holidaying :)

Plus, what were your units on the x and y axes?

I mean, x is supposed to be distance right? Thats what the diagram shows. If that IS the case, and the y axis is angie's displacement, what is the slope supposed to be?! displacement vs distance doesn't yield anything

Edited by 2401 Tangents
no text speak

Alright okay...Ill see what I can do with excel...Anyway your teacher is supposed to have provided you with the values and if you don't have them I really wouldn't know what to do.

well and about the graph question above, the graph just allows us to visualize the problem. It displays the position of the two runners on the coordinate plane and isn't there to show a relationship...

Ditto to the above. The diagram is meant to help you visualize, and I strongly suggest you use it to conceptualize the situation. You may decide to use the same axes in your own diagrams if you wish. When's yours due? If you're still stuck, I suggest drawing on the diagram or drawing them up yourself. From there you may be able to see how you would incorporate the trig.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry guys but I dont know what values of speed to stat with and how to justify them. If any one can help I will be very grateful.

Hmm I am not doing this portfolio yet (probably going to do it in IB2) but I have read the task and in my opinion, their speeds may depend on the distance and how often Buddy looks up, and their speeds should be as rational as possible.

Let the distance be 50 m.

Let Buddy changes his direction every 1 s. (doesn't really make sense but I don't care)

Would you set Buddy's speed to be 100 m/s? Would you set Angie's speed to be 50 m/s?

I myself think 1-3 m/s speed for Angie would be reasonable and around there too for Buddy..

If you have a dog you may want to carry out an experiment.. Ask it to run a few metres and calculate the time taken haha -_-

Do the same to yourself :D

And don't forget to repeat the experiment to reduce random errors :o

• Like 1

You know how in the portfolio you are supposed to find the co-ordinate points of buddy? Do you need to find angles in order to find the coordinate points?

I've been able to find some coordinate points without finding any angles at all (by using similar triangles and Pythagorean theorem) but I've seen my friends talking about using angles and stuff. I know the portfolio instructions specifically says about buddy's change of angle but I didn't really need to find the angles for anything. That's why I'm kinda scared and have a feeling that I might be doing something wrong.

Also, are we allowed to use a recursive formula generator to find the recursive formula?

and any ideas on what kind of geometric software should be used?

Thanks!

Hey everyone!! I started this portfolio just today and I hope it's not too late but I didn't used angles, I used similarities and many more students in my class is using similarities so what I believe is that you should go for it and I'm stuck haha

• 2 weeks later...