Portfolio Type II -- Running with Angie and Bonnie

HelenaStage

Hi, Monday is the deadline for my portfolio and I can understand the last question about the assumptions of the model and the limitations of it when applied to other situations. Can somebody help me, I am really stuck !!

I'm not doing this portfolio yet but I guess some assumptions would be:

[Removed by moderator]

There may be some more I can't think of. The limitation would be those assumptions. People and dogs do not run in constant speeds and dogs won't be as smart as Buddy to catch up with Angie like that.

Edited by Keel

Hi Can someone please answer the part about the recursive formula. I downloaded Function Generator but don't seem to understand how to use it. I found some interesting coorelations, but they only work after finding the coordinates which is pointless, because when it comes to the other part where speed, initial distance and all that is changed, it would take so much time to calculate and then test the formula. It is already taking to long for the dog to reach the lake, i've calculated more than 35 coordinates of buddy and he still didnt reach the lake. Please is there any way to do it faster than manually doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

On the sheet, when they ask us 'choose reasonable values for angie's running speed......' are they asking us to make up the speeds, or do we calculate them with the information given by our teacher?

I would say you got to make up reasonable values for the speed. like, really reasonable values, chosen with common sense. of course Angie's speed can't be like 100 m/s :drake: maybe less than 5 m/s? so it doesn't really have something to do with the given data, I suppose.

hey so what counts as meeting

is it alright to assume that anything under 1m is buddy catching up with angie

and if buddy crosses the y axis by -2E-9m does that count as "plunging into the lake" or is it still valid

ps: who else hates buddy?

I have been pondering this recursive formula for hours but have come up with nothing. If someone could just point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

just use basic trig.

think of how you found buddy's coordinates for the question before that

and just apply it for general terms (hope this helps)

just use basic trig.

I've been trying something similar.

For your x-value, you know that x= √(x² + y²)cosθ (by rearanging cosθ=a/h), and same thing for your y-value except you use sinθ.

I am stuck on creating a recursive formula though.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

and if buddy crosses the y axis by -2E-9m does that count as "plunging into the lake" or is it still valid

They will eventually meet at one given point. The moment Buddy reaches the edge of the lake, he will just continue directly north until he catches up to Angie. This is the point that you are looking for.

I have only just started this portfolio but need help on finding buddy's coordinates,

i've drawn the diagram but don't understand where to place all the numbers... I chose 2m/s for angie and 4 for buddy and my teacher gave us 300m for the initial distance and 10s, which means each slope is 10 right? but I don't get where the other numbers fit in. eg.is the speed on the y-axis?

and even if i knew where to put the figures, I still don't understand how to find the coordinates!

please somebody provide me with some guidance, seriously desperate,, it's due in a few days.

thanks in advance

can someone help me get started?? do you figure out an equation based on the information your teacher gives you and where you want buddy and angie to meet??? do you come up speeds for each and then decide on the function??? im a little confused.....

You decide the speeds, then find the coordinates of Buddy's position at different times based on the speeds and the info your teacher gave you. Then you figure out the equation.

i know im late. but you can find the second coordinate of buddy using pythagoras. then you can extend the hypotenuses and figure out their lenghts and construct right angles triangles by extending each hypotenuse to touch the x-axis.

How do u find the recursive formula!!!!

and how do u use derivative in this thing?

how do you get √(x² + y²)

just use basic trig.

I've been trying something similar.

For your x-value, you know that x= √(x² + y²)cosθ (by rearanging cosθ=a/h), and same thing for your y-value except you use sinθ.

I am stuck on creating a recursive formula though.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

They will eventually meet at one given point. The moment Buddy reaches the edge of the lake, he will just continue directly north until he catches up to Angie. This is the point that you are looking for.

how do u get √(x² + y²)