Portfolio Type II -- Running with Angie and Bonnie

HelenaStage

3 pages of doubts and no answer.... how could one possibly rely on this site?

Excuse me young man, but this site is suppose to be helpful in terms of helping you to get to your answer and not just bluntly giving out the answers.

If that happens, and we just give out the answer you need, where is the learning in that??? We might as well just give out answers and not show you HOW should you get to the answer.

Kinda like a Maths book...

• Like 2

Dude...Seriously take it easy. We aren't just going to give the answer straight away. Thats up to YOU to figure out, IBS is here to help you speed up that process and point you in the right direction.

No one asked you to rely on this site.

This topic isn't here to give you the answers. If you are looking for direct answers then you're in the wrong place. Any posts that give direct answers are removed here. If one person spent the time and effort to work it out, it's not fair for you to come and take it without actually trying to work it out.

These topics are here to clarify things, not to give answers. If you see that this makes our forum unreliable then this isn't the place you're looking for.

• Like 2

hey I really do like the way you guy respect the IB objectives.... I do too

I just happen to be really worried man, I got to give in this thing by tomorrow morning

all I need is the method by which one can find the coordinates of buddy

what I have got is by using

tan inverse of theta

sin inverse of theta * hypotenuse (the distance travelled by buddy in t seconds)

cos inverse of theta * hypotenuse (the distance travelled by buddy in t seconds)

and guess what I have got a perfect parabola but it does not see to touch the y axis

it stops around 3/4th of the way

Edited by Desy ♫
no text speak!

hey i really do like the way you guy respect the ib objesctive.... i do too

i just happen to be really worried man, i gt to give in this thing by tomorrow morning

all i need is the method by which one can find the coordinates of buddy

wat i have gt is by using

tan inverse of theta

sin inverse of theta * hypotaneus (the distance travelled by buddy in t seconds)

cos inverse of theta * hypotaneus (the distance travelled by buddy in t seconds)

and guess wat i have gt a perfect parabolla but it does not see to tourch the y axis

it stops around 3/4th of the way

You're on the right track. Try putting Angie and Buddy's positions into a right triangle. Buddy will travel along the hypotaneus, so his x and y coordinates could be defined using the other two sides of the right triangle. Hint: use arctan. Also note Angie's distance traveled along the vertical axis and Buddy's coordinate on the horizontal axis => these are your other two sides of the triangle. To find the distance traveled simply use S=vt.

Hint: Your first theta angle found will be arctan(1/17). Try to figure out your recursive formula accordingly.

Oh and I don't think my orbit looks like a parabola :-/ if Buddy catches up with Angie that means the curve will HAVE to touch the y-axis at one point.

Edited by Chixxie
  • Like 2

HELP! which are the conditions necessary for buddy to catch up with Angie?? im kind of stuck in that point! help i need to hand it in tomorrow at first hour!! :S

Look at the triangle you drawn between Angie and Buddy's positions. As you know, in a right triangle, which side would be the longest? Does Buddy runs along that side? Thus, the basic condition for Buddy to catch up is that his speed needs to be bigger than Angie's. Think about other conditions regarding time, the time when Buddy looks up, etc.

• Like 1

I've or a technical question: what software do you use to plot a diagram from the 3rd bullet? I assume that it should look like Figure 1 from the question sheet (without any specific data). Can Excel draw something like this?

Obviously not!

I recommend Autograph. Or use your GDC, with a little bit of photo editing if you want to draw the lake.

I used excel to form my spreadsheet, it can be done!

Can anyone think of limitations?

And also, how do you find the point where Bob catches Amber?

I have an equation for Bob in the form ax2+bx+c...but I dont exactly know what to do with it :/

I don't know the specifics of the task but this kind of sounds like if bob catches amber...their equations intersected O.o

Again stressing I have no idea what this task is :P

I have started this portfolio yesterday, and I am happy with the first point. The third point however is confusing because i am not sure which software to use? i thought about GDC but i dunno how i can plot their positions in the graphics calculator. will this diagram be similar to figure 2 in the question sheet? and how do we use trigonometry? I am so confuses, i am starting to regret taking maths higher leverl -_-'

To present data showing the coordinates of A and B I used excel to plot a scatter plot graph with the points.

I managed to come up with the recursive formula using trigo. Anyone have any other methods to find the coordinates of Angie and Bonnie? How does the calculus method work? One of my friends says he's using differential equations, no idea how that works though.

To present data showing the coordinates of A and B I used excel to plot a scatter plot graph with the points.

I managed to come up with the recursive formula using trigo. Anyone have any other methods to find the coordinates of Angie and Bonnie? How does the calculus method work? One of my friends says he's using differential equations, no idea how that works though.

I personally will be using little triangles! and another hint is there in the question! Arcsin is also something usefull i guess, and thank you! I think plotting a scatter graph is a good idea :)

can somebody please help, i am stuck in point three.I know that we need to use little triangles and trigonometry to find the coordinates. But how do i construct the diagram?

i really dunno what goes in x axis and what goes in y axis. i thought of distace, displacement, but that will not work. Can we use the graph they gave us on the question sheet?

• 2 weeks later...

Math Portfolio is a big deal. You have to work on it. It's not as simple as just asking the questions on a forum. I know I worked more than 8 hours straight on this portfolio but it felt great once I was done; especially because I had done it on my own.

The recursive formula you get will depend on the method you choose, I guess.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse me young man, but this site is suppose to be helpful in terms of helping you to get to your answer and not just bluntly giving out the answers.

If that happens, and we just give out the answer you need, where is the learning in that??? We might as well just give out answers and not show you HOW should you get to the answer.

Kinda like a Maths book...

hI I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU COULD HELP ME HOW TO FIND THE RECURSIVE FORMULA I KNOW THAT I CAN USE TANGENT TO FIND THE COORDINATES OF BUDDY

PLEASE

HELP! which are the conditions necessary for buddy to catch up with Angie?? im kind of stuck in that point! help i need to hand it in tomorrow at first hour!! :S

Look at the triangle you drawn between Angie and Buddy's positions. As you know, in a right triangle, which side would be the longest? Does Buddy runs along that side? Thus, the basic condition for Buddy to catch up is that his speed needs to be bigger than Angie's. Think about other conditions regarding time, the time when Buddy looks up, etc.

HI I SAW YOU WROTE ABOUT HOW TO FIND THE RECURSIVE FORMULA CAN YOU PLEASE EXPAND IT FOR ME LIKE I KNOW THE SIDES CORRESPOND TO THE X AND Y AXIS FOR BOTH ANGIE AND BUDDY BUT WHAT DO I DO NEXT

• 2 weeks later...

For those who got stuck in the beginning, you can start it off by trying different speed of Buddy and Angie.

In reality, a dog and a human cannot run like 100 m/s, there aren't much choices eh? ;p

Be reminded, those plotting software can help you a lot, you may get some clues from there!

I got 15/20 marks for this portfolio task. This was the most stressful and worthless IA that I have ever had the unfortunate task of doing (which is saying something, because our teacher also assigned us the patterns among systems of equations task before ever teaching us any linear algebra). I used Maple and spent hours upon hours entering numbers into formulas I made in maple and then converting those numbers into nice little tables.