Portfolio Type II -- Running with Angie and Bonnie

HelenaStage

I got 15/20 marks for this portfolio task. This was the most stressful and worthless IA that I have ever had the unfortunate task of doing (which is saying something, because our teacher also assigned us the patterns among systems of equations task before ever teaching us any linear algebra). I used Maple and spent hours upon hours entering numbers into formulas I made in maple and then converting those numbers into nice little tables.

oh yeaaa... I am waiting for the result. no good feelings. :bawling:

Good luck to those doing it.

The problem that i have got in this IA is that Buddy never catches up with Angie although it gets very very close, is there something wrong with my formula? I calculate Buddy's angle by arctan ((angie's y coordinate)-(buddy's y coordinate)/ (Buddy's x coordinate)) any ideas how to solve this?

The problem that i have got in this IA is that Buddy never catches up with Angie although it gets very very close, is there something wrong with my formula? I calculate Buddy's angle by arctan ((angie's y coordinate)-(buddy's y coordinate)/ (Buddy's x coordinate)) any ideas how to solve this?

They should catch up unless your initial velocities are whacky. I'd recommend you re-examine your recursive formula.

I think that it is quite possible for certain speeds (at least I had it like this). You should assume that when Buddy is, let's say less than 10cm from Angie then it caught up with her. I can't imagine a dog running with a distance of eg. 1cm or 1mm from its owner ;)

I was wonder which program/software everyone used for the simulation of this portfolio task. Thanks in advance.

For your information, I used Geogebra to plot the graphs.

But it doesn't really matter for what software you use as long it's convenient to you, I believe there are lots of people out there using different software.

My teacher gave us 2s (Every time he looks up) and 200m starting distnace (It was random... we even helped him chose). I then chose 5m/s (angie) and 10m/s (Buddy). I used arctan and sin and cosine and found the angles... but it never reached 0. Is that right?

Also for people looking for technology, Excel is the best form. use formulas all the time, the only thing that shouldnt be a formula is the first four numbers and headings. that way when you need to change any of the four values (distance, time, speed) the whole page values change to fit. Its the easiest option.

Hi, I'm interested in learning how to use geogebra for plotting Bonnie (Buddy, as we have the dog in ours). So yeah, no portfolio hints or anything, but just geogebra help since their site and resources are confusing and broad, while I'm looking for something very specific.

Best Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm interested in learning how to use geogebra for plotting Bonnie (Buddy, as we have the dog in ours). So yeah, no portfolio hints or anything, but just geogebra help since their site and resources are confusing and broad, while I'm looking for something very specific.

Best Regards

I've used Geogebra for plotting the graphs.

By using a slider can make much easier which it's also the reason why I used this. You can vary the speed of both Angie and Bonnie until you see a appropriate curve for your analysis.

For more information, you can check the manual of it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm stuck at the part of where we have to alter the values of u, v, t and the initial distance and make simulations.

I got a recursive formula in terms of the x-coordinates and y-coordinates of Buddy, but people here are mentioning that there's an equation in the form y=ax2+bx+c. Am I missing something obvious?

Help would be much appreciated!

edit: Another quick question, "construct a diagram to plot the positions and directions of both runners. Use trigonometry to find the coordinates of several points where Buddy changes his direction"

Do I have to find all the coordinates until they meet? If so, what if Buddy gets in the water? Do I have to re-do it with different values for v and u or just continue?

Edited by notenoughsleep

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I dont seem to get how you guys can figure out the x-axis and y-axis of Buddy's position after he changes direction. Esp using calculus. Please help me here :bawling: I'm so confused after trying to plot out his position. I'm getting so many different answers!! How, using calculus, can you figure out Buddy's position?

Thanks!!

Hello,

I think you are happy because I did this portfolio and got 20/20... it was really easy actually... You don't have to any calculus. it is not required at all. Because the line you are making is discrete meaning that it is not experiential as you think. The gradient is always changing every 5 seconds.

I tackled the question by drawing a graph on my own which is to scale.. You don't have to care about Angie position except you will need it for finding the next position of Buddy. If you look at the rough scale in the portfolio paper you see that second position of Buddy B2 is still in the x-axis < if you look at it this way because he was running toward Angie's starting point but then realised she moved up and he started to go toward her. So if you draw to scale graph. You can figure out the angle of Buddy's positions and I am pretty sure that you will find a pattern. You will use this pattern to find the recursive formula. But believe me when you find the pattern find its formula and don't think its a small one. Its quite 1/2 a line.

If you couldn't find it. Tell me I will see if i can upload a graph and show it to you. And you know I can't share everything because its your job and I didn't give the IB it. So sorry, but i think I helped because this is the big hint you need to model the route

edit: Another quick question, "construct a diagram to plot the positions and directions of both runners. Use trigonometry to find the coordinates of several points where Buddy changes his direction"

Do I have to find all the coordinates until they meet? If so, what if Buddy gets in the water? Do I have to re-do it with different values for v and u or just continue?

This is key point in the Modelling portfolio, Trigonometry, just like I said in the comment before me. You need to do a route which is to scale in a graph paper and then you look at Buddy's (not Bonnie) positions and then you find the angle of it. You can find different angles depending in which you will use SOH CAH TOA < you know these right.

After using these for almost the first 5 or 6 positions, you will then notice a pattern there of angles. A decreasing pattern or an increasing patter as I said it depends to the SOH CAH TOA. But what I remember but not sure because Im away from my portfolio that I used the SOH and found a decreasing pattern.

Later on you will need to find the formula of the pattern as I said.

regarding Buddy going on water. There will be an intersection point in the y-axis and at that point I assumed that he will stop and will change his angle completely toward Angie and then the modelling finish. Then after that you will have to do with different scenarios meaning different values of distance, speed etc...

I hope its useful and understandable

Hello,

I'm stuck at the part of where we have to alter the values of u, v, t and the initial distance and make simulations.

I got a recursive formula in terms of the x-coordinates and y-coordinates of Buddy, but people here are mentioning that there's an equation in the form y=ax2+bx+c. Am I missing something obvious?

Help would be much appreciated!

Well it looks like in that form,

and here I say again did you find the angles of Buddy's positions. to find the next angle you will need a formula and that formula will be something like that. Just the angle. Not the formula of the curve, for the 1000 times it is discrete

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone knows what should be written in the introduction part?

You should write an intro to the model. What are you trying to do? what are going to do. define the speed of both runners distance and anything else you see is related but not in details

explain in detail!! include domains too.

If you explained fully and in details in the introduction part. Its like you are writing the whole essay in your introduction.

In the first paragraph or two, you need to have a general, broad view about the task. Then after that, you start your way into the point and start getting into details. My teacher told me that :)