Portfolio Type II -- Running with Angie and Bonnie

HelenaStage

Well, actually, the hypotenuse represents both, but you don't need to know that distance to solve for the angle, just use the legs. Then you can use the hypotenuse representing his total speed and the angle to find the components and find out how far he travels in each time interval.

wait, wait... i dont need to know that distance? I've been drawing how far buddy travels during each time interval using that distance i got from s=vt... am i doing something wrong in drawing the diagram? :S

i dont seem to be able to find out the legs if I dont know the distance of the hypotenuse somehow...besides measuring it manually...

i got everything figured out....but what exactly do they mean by a discrete model?

I think it's just a discontinuous model of points.

How did you find the recursive formulae?? is it alright to use an estimated model function of the angles? were u able to find any exact patterns? Also is the possible to graph recursive equations??

Much help neeeded! thanks ~

I got this internal friday a week ago, and it's due next friday. So far, I've found the recursive formulae for Buddy's co-ordinates. Could someone explain to me what exactly a discrete model is?

i got everything figured out....but what exactly do they mean by a discrete model?

to both of you, discrete >< continuous. basically most functions are continuous. discrete functions are...well, discontinuous functions. they're plotted in dotted lines. usually these are for integers only. so there's no point corresponding to non integer values like 1.5, 2.7, etc

How did you find the recursive formulae?? is it alright to use an estimated model function of the angles? were u able to find any exact patterns? Also is the possible to graph recursive equations??

Much help neeeded! thanks ~

use trigo. yeah if you use TI, select the graph, properties, you can then make dotted lines with a specified interval.

got the formulae! :D

but for the conditions necessary for Buddy to catch up with Angie...is it only that Buddy has to be faster than Angie. are there any limitations on the time interval?

I got this internal friday a week ago, and it's due next friday. So far, I've found the recursive formulae for Buddy's co-ordinates. Could someone explain to me what exactly a discrete model is?
to both of you, discrete >< continuous. basically most functions are continuous. discrete functions are...well, discontinuous functions. they're plotted in dotted lines. usually these are for integers only. so there's no point corresponding to non integer values like 1.5, 2.7, etc
How did you find the recursive formulae?? is it alright to use an estimated model function of the angles? were u able to find any exact patterns? Also is the possible to graph recursive equations?? Much help neeeded! thanks ~
use trigo. yeah if you use TI, select the graph, properties, you can then make dotted lines with a specified interval.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I am very confused as to how to start this IA!

Here are my data values:

D= 300 m

t= 10s

my made up values are:

v (buddy) = 6m/s

u (Angie) = 4 m/s

I honestly followed every comment that I read and I STILL can't find any data points!!!

I drew a big triangle and tried doing similar triangles, but I couldn't find any data points

I tried using trig but I didn't have enough information!!

I really need help. Its due in 2 days =(!!

I'm really worried

Hi. I am very confused as to how to start this IA!

Here are my data values:

D= 300 m

t= 10s

my made up values are:

v (buddy) = 6m/s

u (Angie) = 4 m/s

I honestly followed every comment that I read and I STILL can't find any data points!!!

I drew a big triangle and tried doing similar triangles, but I couldn't find any data points

I tried using trig but I didn't have enough information!!

I really need help. Its due in 2 days =(!!

I'm really worried

One of the hardest steps in this IA I found was getting your head around the geometry of the situation. So i would go back and have another go at drawing out the situation to figure out the angles and distances you need if you do this using trigonometry. One of the best things about their IA is the actual maths in it is pretty basic so just find one point at a time and soon you will easily see what you need to create a model. I'll give you some help to find the first 2 points. Just assume buddy and angie are on a huge y x-axis graph for my explanation. Using your values, the first point is very obvious, in 10s, buddy moves 60m from 300 to 240 and angie moves 40m up the y-axis aka lake. Now, to find buddy's next movement, you assume that buddy is moving towards (0,40). If you draw a triangle you can find the angle and then using that angle and basic trig, assuming he moves another 60 metres you can find his next coordinate. This is as probably as much help as I could possibly give you, just keep at it and at some point you will have a moment where it clicks and the whole process will seem so simple.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...