How to write a level 7 World Literature Essay?

Hey guys I want to know how to write the perfect World Literature essay. I have started writing mine it's on the theme of imprisonment and isolation on the 2 novels 'One day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' and 'Metamorphosis'. I want to know the tips and things to include in order to write a perfect or almost perfect World Lit essay.

Well definitely include everything it says in the brief xP Show an awareness of the texts, a sensitive understanding of the characters, plot, themes etc. in all you say and make sure you do a very thorough comparison, leaving nothing out. For that reason you should pick a very 'tight' question where you're not going to use up all your words and then think "oh yeah, I don't have enough room to discuss X". If you still have more to say at the end and can't condense it any further (trust me there will be much condensing!) narrow down your title.

A lot of it is how you write it and how valid the points are that you pick out, but most of it is the title, really. If you hit the nail on the head with the title, you're home and dry. A good idea to start is to get a piece of paper and write down all the points you can possibly think of -- use of language, characters, plot etc. -- related to your title for each book. Then find some key quotes for each. Finally go back through each one and think of an equivalent point between the two -- so if you say that the main character of one shows isolation in X way, see how the main character of the other shows isolation. Make absolutely everything a point of comparison.

Then write the essay :P Once you have your ideas, it should be quick to write and then take aaaages to cut it down and make it read well. There're no 'things to include' as such, mostly it's how not what with World Lit. Approach it right and it'll work :P

• Like 1

A lot of it is how you write it and how valid the points are that you pick out, but most of it is the title, really. If you hit the nail on the head with the title, you're home and dry.

Actually, the criteria do not mention the title at all. If you mean topic, I sort of agree with you.

Well definitely include everything it says in the brief xP Show an awareness of the texts, a sensitive understanding of the characters, plot, themes etc. in all you say and make sure you do a very thorough comparison, leaving nothing out. For that reason you should pick a very 'tight' question where you're not going to use up all your words and then think "oh yeah, I don't have enough room to discuss X".

Yes, the best topics are those that you think are too narrow.

General advice:

Read the criteria carefully

Make sure you compare and not just list everything

Present the characters as well as you can

Use varied language

• 3 weeks later...

If you can, mention culture to show somewhat of an appreciation for it.

Also there was a blog that a grader said he wished students wouldn't.. can't reword it as well as he did. Let me see if I can find the site again....

http://www.ericmacknight.com/iba1/?p=83

Read that. It's very helpful.

To elaborate on Sandwich's thorough post above, make sure you explain your claims and back them up with references from the texts. Don't just put a sentence in without explaining it. Sometimes it might even seem redundant. Take a long look and think about it and ask your teacher. If I knew what to ask my teacher, he would have helped me a lot more. Eh

Good luck :P

When you've written it, read it aloud to check if it sounds fluent. Also, my EE supervisor said that in a wellwritten essay, one should be able to read the first and last sentence in ecah paragraph and it should still be comprehensible.

• 11 months later...

Always devote a good chunk of your Essay to the meanings and symbolism of the Author's words.
Example: "The constant reference to the cold temperature by Solzhenitsyn is to constantly remind the readers, harshness of the environment to the zeks.

Im doing my world lit now, on a comparison of the use of silence in language with respect to the character conflicts of Nora and Torvald in A Dolls House compared to Gerardo and Paulina in Death and the Maiden, would love help ... :D

[quote name='sweetnsimple786' timestamp='1276661864' post='71499']
If you can, mention culture to show somewhat of an appreciation for it.
Also there was a blog that a grader said he wished students wouldn't.. can't reword it as well as he did. Let me see if I can find the site again....
[url="http://www.ericmacknight.com/iba1/?p=83"]http://www.ericmacknight.com/iba1/?p=83[/url]
Read that. It's very helpful.
To elaborate on Sandwich's thorough post above, make sure you explain your claims and back them up with references from the texts. Don't just put a sentence in without explaining it. Sometimes it might even seem redundant. Take a long look and think about it and ask your teacher. If I knew what to ask my teacher, he would have helped me a lot more. Eh
Good luck :P
[/quote]

I just have to say, this is so cool; the teacher who has the blog you posted above, is my school's English HL teacher! He's a very respected teacher and great at what he's doing :)