My chances of getting into these universities

zen16

I just started working on my University essays and I quite agree with you. The UK seems much more straightforward focusing on what I think is important (academics) than the US where you have to write some sad story that gives a moral while simultaneously showing how amazing you are. And then on top of it they are unnecessarily expensive. I prefer Canada and the UK much more

My mom is good friends with a college admissions advisor who works for the UC's and who did work at Stanford...this is what she told me about the admissions system here

It is somewhat illogical...

Test scores are very important-for example, if you don't have a 2300 or higher on the SAT it is very difficult to get into the top universities, such as harvard or stanford. If you have less than that it is doubly hard, mainly because almost every student who is applying has a test score over 2100. 2300 is what makes things safe. If you take the ACT, you need a 33 or above.

The best schools want to see how relatively high your AP and IB test scores are-if your program has a lot of people who get 43/45, your chances of getting in just dropped-they want the best of the best from each school. IB scores are worth a little bit more than AP overall-mainly because IB teachers have to get certified for teaching IB, and AP teachers don't.

The choice of subject tests you take also has a huge impact. Take ones for subjects you are interested in and whatever you do do not take math one.

The essays are big. They are how you describe yourself. Sob stories will not get you in. In fact, they guarantee that you wont get in unless the sob story is not entirely a sob story. Many schools, such as ivy league schools, practice a system known as "Molding",where they choose people based on their personalities, assuming the person already has the necessary qualifications i.e test scores,GPA

Academic GPA is also very important, but I am not sure how that applies to foreigners.

At private universities, such as the ivies, foreign students are at a disadvantage. All the universities are going to take U.S. students over others due to natural bias.Private School students are also at a huge disadvantage.

Extra curriculars are huge!!! They display your interests-if you are applying for law school, join or start a speech and debate club or something to that affect.

Internships are really good. If you are a scout who has reached a high rank (Eagle or equivalent), that says a lot to a lot of people and opens doors, so to speak.

lol thats what I had to scribble down the last time she was at my house...i am applying in the fall as well

Edited by Center Field
  • Like 1