TI-Nspire or TI-84+ SE?

VJ DJ

Hey guys I'm starting IB real soon and I was comtemplating on whether to buy the TI-nspire or the TI-84+ SE. What's the difference in these two calc besides memory ROM? Can you get those handy 'apps' avl for the TI-84+ on the TI-nspire? I will be using the ti84+ keypad on the nspire, but do you think it'll be hard to cope up with anyone using the ti-84/83?

Is the TI-nspire permitted in Phy HL & Chem SL? I know it's permitted in Math. I'm pretty new here lol.

My main concern was that the TI84+ SE doesn't support Calculus or AP Phy. This comparison chart says TI-Nspire does.

I would like to know which calc you recommend. I have no plans of doing AP Calc/Phy, but I wanted to get one calc that'll do me good for IB & College.

Btw, I will be taking Math HL.

Help would be appreciated, Thanks :blink:

Edited by VJ DJ

You'll do fine in Math HL with a TI-84. And there are some applications and programs you can download that let you do some Physics and Chemistry stuff, although of course you can't use them on the test. And as fare as I know, you can't use TI Inspire on the tests so TI-84 is your best bet.

• 1 month later...

Definitely get TI-nspire! Since it has TI-84 keyboard, it is like having two calculators in one :no: You will also have fun using nspire itself with the touchpad. I'm sure it is permitted on all IB subjects, even TI website says so.

Don't forget to get rechargeable battery for $15 to save on AA ones

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, i love basic its fun to make games and prank other peoples calculators to give the wrong answer and stuff like that :fail:

most of the games and big math programs avaliable are made through assembly though and are only run through ion or mirage os or equivalent, so it might not be programable through basic, but basic math functionality sure is .

I'd go with the 84+. You're not even allowed to use a calculator for one of the math exams, no point in getting too attached to it. You can do everything you want the the 84+, and if you get too fancy a calculator you may be tempted to try to learn how to do everything on the calculator, which means you might not learn the concepts properly.

I have the TI-Nspire and it's amazing. It's so much easier to use than the TI 84+. It is allowed on all the IB exams (I found out on the IBO website) as long as it is in Press-to-test mode (Very easy to get into). Also, it has a TI 84+ keypad which makes it exactly like a TI 84+ except with a bigger screen. I would highly recommend it. Just don't get the CAS version as it is not permitted on the exams.

Ok,

So a lot of people seem to think that the TI-Nspire is not allowed on the exam with it's Nspire faceplate. Well, after much searching I found a document that proves it is. Here it is: PROOF-- Sec41:209 last line on the page & Sec41:210 2nd column 3rd line.

It's really easy to get it into Press-to-Test mode and a pain to get it out. This is so you can't do it during an exam.

First, you may have to do an OS update as only the latest one has Press-to-Test mode. Do it using the cable that came with your hand held and the TI-Nspire Computer Link Software (Free:D). All you have to do is download the software, plug in your TI, wait for the drivers to install...., make sure the TI is on, then start up the program. It'll find your TI and automatically search for OS updates.

Then, to get it into Press-to-Test mode check out this.

NOTE: That is for the 2nd generation version of the device (aka your on button is at the bottom versus sharing the home key). If you have the first version the only difference is that to get it into Press-to-Test mode just hold Esc, Home (The key with the little house) , and ON. All at the same time. Then continue to follow the instructions in the guide from TI.

ANOTHER NOTE: Because TI seem to be idiots, they didn't tell you that to get it out of Press-to-Test mode you don't need another TI-Nspire (Cause seriously, who has two). All you need to do is hook it up to your computer then follow the same instructions in the guide from TI (make a document, go to the tools menu, and select "Exit Press-to-Test mode"...or something like that).

OK. So I basically just re wrote the guide but whatever. XD

Feel free to ask more questions! :P

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ok,

So a lot of people seem to think that the TI-Nspire is not allowed on the exam with it's Nspire faceplate. Well, after much searching I found a document that proves it is. Here it is: PROOF-- Sec41:209 last line on the page & Sec41:210 2nd column 3rd line.

It's really easy to get it into Press-to-Test mode and a pain to get it out. This is so you can't do it during an exam.

First, you may have to do an OS update as only the latest one has Press-to-Test mode. Do it using the cable that came with your hand held and the TI-Nspire Computer Link Software (Free:D). All you have to do is download the software, plug in your TI, wait for the drivers to install...., make sure the TI is on, then start up the program. It'll find your TI and automatically search for OS updates.

Then, to get it into Press-to-Test mode check out this.

NOTE: That is for the 2nd generation version of the device (aka your on button is at the bottom versus sharing the home key). If you have the first version the only difference is that to get it into Press-to-Test mode just hold Esc, Home (The key with the little house) , and ON. All at the same time. Then continue to follow the instructions in the guide from TI.

ANOTHER NOTE: Because TI seem to be idiots, they didn't tell you that to get it out of Press-to-Test mode you don't need another TI-Nspire (Cause seriously, who has two). All you need to do is hook it up to your computer then follow the same instructions in the guide from TI (make a document, go to the tools menu, and select "Exit Press-to-Test mode"...or something like that).

OK. So I basically just re wrote the guide but whatever. :blink:

Feel free to ask more questions! :)

Thanks so much for the information Chocaholic. Can you please tell me if you can also use it in Chemistry and Physics?