Help I got 24 points and missed all my offers =/

deadwood

Hello i am new here

I just screwed up my IB exam with 24 points total and just scraped a diploma. The universities i applied for is Leicester (30 points) and Hull (28 points). I was originally predicted 28 points.

My parents want me to go for a foundation course and they are really really pissed. I suggested doing a retake for Geography and Maths, but my dad fears universities would despise students taking retakes in examination. Is that true?

I got the following (crappy) grades:

HL

- Bio = 5

- Business = 5

- Geo = 4

SL

- Maths = 2

- French = 3

- English A1 = 5

Should i do a retake or foundation course? Someone help me, I am VERY worried, pissed and scared (of my dad throwing his fist at me anytime now).

If you want to do retake examinations, the question is, do you remember the material well enough to score higher? If so, feel free to do a retake.

If I was in that situation, I would probably take the Foundation course, just to be safe.

Did you get any bonus points?

Anyway, you have several options

1. remarks

2. retakes

3. UCAS Clearing

People will consider you if you've done IB retakes (one of my friends has actually done 2 sets of retakes now and has an offer for Medicine, so clearly at least some Universities will consider it!). It's also worth asking for the more detailed mark breakdown when it comes out (ask your IB coordinator) and seeing if it's worth getting any remarks done. At my school, if you had something remarked, it went up. Dunno if that was just luck or not, but especially if you're close to a grade boundary, consider it. I'm not sure if you could get an extra 4 points from it, though, and it is rather expensive (unless your mark goes up in which case, technically your school should refund you the money, although I'd be lying if I said all schools made a habit of it...).

Retakes will of course involve taking a gap year, as well as the possibility that you won't do any better than the first time, with an option to retake both this November and also next May. You'll have to find a centre which will let you resit and pay exam entrance fees -- some schools (*cough*mine*cough*) might also try and make you pay for another term's education... clearly said education didn't really help the first time round... but my general point is that potentially this could also be a costly business!

Clearing, on the other hand, won't be costly, and I certainly know people in a very similar position to yourself who this time last year got into courses via Clearing.

Really, it depends on what your goals are: do you want to take a gap year or not? Some people are fine with it, others can't face the idea of not studying for a year / being a year behind (although plenty of people do take gap years, so this isn't such a big deal at Uni!) or indeed living with their parents for any longer.

uh, I'll borrow your thread to link this stuff...

(btw I also got 24p, and can't get in to any of my original offers because I didn't get the... ... Diploma.)

This is an offer I got a few weeks ago, and I'm wondering if this might mean that I get in even though I didn't actually achieve a diploma.

Dear Frei,

Earlier in the year you applied for a place on the BA (Hons) Journalism at LCC. Although at that time your application was unsuccessful, I am pleased to say that we are now able to make a small number of additional offers. We have reviewed your original application, and we would now like to offer you a place on the course for the 2010-2011 session.

Please contact me by 8 July 2010 via telephone 020kkkk or email [email protected] if you are interested in taking up a place on this course. You would have to decline any other offers you hold and accept our offer through UCAS Extra. You would then not be able to hold an insurance choice.

We hope that you will consider this favourably and we would urge you to think carefully in coming to your decision.

Yours sincerely,

It seems to be unconditional to me. I didn't use UCAS Extra myself, but have you also checked the details they include when they make you the offer on UCAS? That'd be where they would write their conditions if they were going to add any. There's no suggestion in that letter that they have conditions.

• Like 1

It seems to be unconditional to me. I didn't use UCAS Extra myself, but have you also checked the details they include when they make you the offer on UCAS? That'd be where they would write their conditions if they were going to add any. There's no suggestion in that letter that they have conditions.

the thing is, I got the email+letter, which asks me to apply through extra, and THEN they will give me the offer, and THEN i will accept it formally... If nothing has happened by noon tomorrow (as it looks now, i've only applied but have no offer) I'll give them a call... I sure hope it's unconditional though :(

oh snap, I just got this (please someone competent, tell me this means that my points are irrelevant, and i get in if i score a 7 on IELTS!):

Dear Miss

Congratulations; University of the Arts London has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Journalism, P500; starting in September 2010 at point of entry 1.

The conditions of the offer are:

This offer is subject to you obtaining

Fees must be paid in full at or before enrolment

Accept your offer online @ www.ucas.com (app enquiries)

Early application for government student support advised

Pass at IELTS with overall band score of 6.5

Please send results direct to the institution

The Admissions Office

UAL, nice :( Just don't end up at the campus in Maidstone, if you can, is my advice!

Yep, insofar as I can see, all they want you to do is pass the IELTS exam with an average score of 6.5 (probably because you don't seem to have taken English anywhere in your IB marks). Probably worth booking yourself in for that asap!

You should ring them and check, but I'd be pretty confident that you're going to be fine.

• 8 years later...

I just logged back in (after 8 years) and I want to say that getting 24 points in IB (or failing it) IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. Getting a nice IB score would give you better options for university, but ultimately, employers (these days) care more about the other merits you have. Not to mention, getting your first nice job (upon graduation) would typically require going through assessment centre, online test, and interview: these processes are another big hurdle like IB. Then, depending on which sector / career you end up in, you may have to start taking licensing and professional exams (e.g. ACCA / ACA for accountants).

If anyone else is in the same predicament as what I faced from 8 years ago, then just remember that IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD because in the grand scheme of things, a university degree and its reputation is just a small part of your life. Staying positive with a problem-solving mindset + knowing your limitations and strength is the best attitude to have when you get a low IB score.

• Like 2

Also, like what my ex girlfriend says, there is more than one way to live a life. 

Going to university does not necessarily guarantee success in the future.
Not going to university does not automatically dictate that your future will be a failure.

But no matter what, try your best - nobody can blame your outcome if you have tried your very best

Edited by deadwood