My University Choices

julie-h

I found it through the internet, and all comments on it are positive. But no one I actually know or meet seems to know about it...

Just wondering if anyone here has? And what they've heard?

I come from Mauritius. Life expenses here are very low, but as you can imagine, so is everything else - including income. Here I live a comfortable life, but the prices of universities overseas are sky high to us!

I don't think I qualify as a student who'd really deserve a scholarship - I'm aiming for about 35 points realistically. Maybe one or two points less or more. So, I'm probably going to have to take out a student loan, but repayments are super high :/

Where would the best place be to go to university which would be slightly more reasonable in terms of finance for someone who doesn't have a great deal of money? Prices in places like the UK, the US and in Europe, they aren't even worth looking for for me.

Edited by sweetnsimple786
Use the Edit button to add more to a post. :)

There are definitely places in the US and Canado worth looking at. But those places will be relatively difficult to find and I believe education will not be one of the best.

Europe, on the other hand, is a far better option finacially. Usually education is 3 years long for Bachelors instead of 4. Also the tuition fees are affordable. If not, then you can see whether you qualify for a scholarship (sometimes it is specific for students from specific countries).

Are you looking at any country specifically?

There are definitely places in the US and Canado worth looking at. But those places will be relatively difficult to find and I believe education will not be one of the best.

Europe, on the other hand, is a far better option finacially. Usually education is 3 years long for Bachelors instead of 4. Also the tuition fees are affordable. If not, then you can see whether you qualify for a scholarship (sometimes it is specific for students from specific countries).

Are you looking at any country specifically?

Well, I'm really interested in Canada.. And I'm going to be studying business administration.

Where in Europe though? UK? From what I've heard Europe's probably one of the most expensive places you can go. Are there places there that are cheap?

Specifically for Business Administration Programme in Canda - take a look at this website: http://www.canadian-universities.net/Universities/Programs/Business_Administration.html

There is also a really good website to look for universities or specific programmes that you are interested to study in Europe: http://www.bachelorsportal.eu/

PM me if you have any additional questions.

• Like 1

I think Maastrict University (the international one) in Holland is fairly good and the price is not too high.

Thanks! It doesn't have the course I'm looking for though :(

Specifically for Business Administration Programme in Canda - take a look at this website: http://www.canadian-universities.net/Universities/Programs/Business_Administration.html

There is also a really good website to look for universities or specific programmes that you are interested to study in Europe: http://www.bachelorsportal.eu/

PM me if you have any additional questions.

Wow thanks! Will do :)

Edited by Sandwich
Please keep your replies to the same post! Thanks :)

There are a couple of programmes at the Helsinki School of Economics that are taught in English. Education here is completely free, so it would match your requirements. I think that for foreigners the admissions are through SATs, here is the website HSE.

• Like 1

If you're looking to apply to Canada to do Business Administration, and money is a big factor for you, I suggest at least looking at Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN). I'm not going to lie; it's not the biggest or the best university in the country by any means, but it is the largest university in Atlantic Canada, and its business and commerce programs are generally rated quite well. Perhaps the most attractive feature is its low tuition costs, at least as compared to other schools; Memorial has lowest tuition costs of any school in Canada. Aside from that, they offer a great deal of credit for IB courses; one could get as many as 45 credits1 (equivalent to 15 courses, or 3 semesters) for doing IB, and many students do end up receiving around 24 or 27 credits. I personally received 27 credits (9 courses, almost one full year of classes) for doing IB, and have received one of four $30 000 scholarships for maintaining a very high entrance average. For local students like me, this is more than 200% of the cost of attending Memorial for the duration of a Bachelor's degree (though I will be living at home, and tuition costs for Canadian students are subsidized, making them even cheaper).

I probably sound like an ad for the university, but I really think it matches what you're looking for, julie-h. With 35 points you would be guaranteed entrance to the university, and you'd probably get an entrance scholarship. I encourage you to at least consider MUN if you want to come to Canada.

145 credits is the absolute maximum Memorial will award for 6 IB courses making up a standard IB diploma, and can be achieved by taking: Language A1 HL, Language A2 SL, Economics HL, Business HL, Environmental Systems and Societies SL, and Maths HL

• Like 1