Uni in Canada!

IB_delusion

It's an excellent uni, and probably the most internationally recognized Canadian university. If your friend is interested in applying to any other Canadian unis then he/she should also consider UBC, Toronto, Queens, Concordia, Waterloo and some others. They're all great!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've lived in Toronto and Vancouver and from personal experiance, U of T was always considered a tough-to-get-in and pretigious university in Toronto. However, the same doesn't seem to apply for UBC. Living in Vancouver, I met several people that went to UBC, and I wasn't all that impressed with their marks and the courses they had taken. If I'm not mistaken, UBC has an acceptance rate of just above 50%. However, it all depends on the field of study. As far UBC goes, the sciences are very competitive, as there is a large asian population which all challange for the sciences (a lot of them get 95-100% in all their classes). But I really don't see UBC as being a hard university to get into if you're a smart kid. I haven't heard much about U of T, but I know that it's got some great programs and is often regarded as the best university in Canada. U of T is gonna be the first university I apply for next year because I love the city of Toronto, the people and I can get a great education at the same time.

To be honest, I have not heard much about McGill, other that it has a great medical school and life sciences department. It's regarded as Canada's best university as times aswell, along with UofT. If I had to choose between UofT and McGill it'd be a pretty tough choice because McGill probably provides a better education for the area I want to go into (Medicine), but Toronto is such a great city and place to live. I went to Montreal a few times when I was younger and didn't like Montreal that much, it's more laid back and you see more "worn out" areas persay. If you're coming from outside of North America, I'd strongly recommend Toronto because it's easy to find communities from whatever country you come from, and it's a very welcoming city. But it's hard to pass on McGill's great education and prestige. Seeing as not much of a difference in education but a big difference in citiies, at least for me, I think I'd take U of T and make McGill my second choice...wouldn't even consider UBC, Vancouver is too liberal for me (don't even get me started)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Vancouver, and UBC is all the rage here. Most of the students aspire for UBC, and many of them do end up attending it. I find that a lot of people here who want into the medical field, however, regard Mcgill more highly. UBC is very competitive in the sciences, and its business school (Sauder) is apparently internationally reknown. A lot of people seem to look at the US before they start considering Canada, but we have a lot of good universities too; UBC, University of Toronto, Mcgill, University of Alberta, Queen's, Waterloo - they're all really famous.

• 3 weeks later...

mcgill, uoft and ubc are all the top schools in canada and are all in excellent areas

They are all research based unis and are all excellent for grad schools, and medicine (including undergrad)

BUT, many people have problems with UofT's undergrad programs (extremely large classes, HIGH drop out rates etc...)

However, some schools are excellent and better than these 3 in specific areas

E.g. The university of western ontario and the university of York have the best business schools

e.g. Waterloo have better engineering programs

• 1 month later...

Migil's a good school and any of the Canadian universities mentioned in this thread. I personally think U of T is really not hard to gain an acceptance to, but it is hard to stay in as its a tough school and lots of people drop out their first year. U of T is without a doubt the most internationally recognized and is currently ranked 4th in the world for engineering so if thats what you want to go into you should consider applying there. Waterloo is also known for a really good engineer program. It really depends on what lifestyle you want. Waterloo is a pretty quiet town whereas Toronto is a major city.

For economics I would recommend the University of Western Ontario, they have a separate business school that is really good.

Yah I heard that its a really good place too.. Its ranked 82 as the world ranking.. don't believe me?

check this link :sadnod:

http://www.4icu.org/reviews/547.htm

HAHAHA, that is definitely the most retarded ranking i have ever seen in my life.

apparently, there are Mexican (ranked 4th in the world in this ranking), Brazilian, portugese, hungarian, Turkish and saudi arabian universities better than mcgill......