A few choices (university subjects)

Dr. Polaris

Although I am totally obsessed with animals, and I'd love nothing more than to be a vet, there;s a few other choices I'd love to THINK about, but not sure what they really are, and Google isn't giving much I didn't know before:

1.) Journalism: I always have this idea that I can write amazing articles or columns for Time or other big companies (which has a slim chance of happening). However, what IS journalism, really? Do you take English in university? How do you find jobs? I love writing essays (this is Pre-IB experience btw, so far).

2.) I like going to places. I love traveling, whether it is to another city or continent. I see a lot of people working for Discovery Travel and Living, and they get to go to all sorts of places, making their own shows and writing books. What career is this? What do I need to study to be eligible to have this career?

3.) English. Is it like another 4 years of English A1 HL? I'm taking that for the next 2 years of IB. If uni. is like another course of english a1 HL, then It seems pointless to me.

4.) Around how many points should I aim for if I want to study one of the above courses?

Thanks

The points scores will vary a lot, depending on what universities you wish to attend. For instance it could vary for 38-40 at somewhere like Oxbridge to any lower amount elsewhere.

For a career in journalism, I have always been told to stay away from taking a journalism degree. You're better off taking English lit. or something similar at university. As long as the course has the same core skills, you should be fine. For instance history would also be a good subject for university.

Perhaps pick two or three choices you could see yourself enjoying and that would lead to a good career. Go on the different universities websites and what they offer for that subject. As then you'll get a better idea of what to aim for with your IB score.

Edited by slizzie

We pretty much have the same aspirations, just add Psychology in there. Like Slizzie said, a journalism degree isn't beneficial. Stick to English if you're convinced you want this career.

However, if you want to go into traveling and you like writing essays, maybe becoming an ambassador or something relating to political science is perfect for you. I'm on this path and I'm most likely going to study Psychology and International Relations in college (or maybe just International Relations). You don't have to study International Relations; you could study other subjects if this seems something you'd enjoy, such as Sociology.

Google around "what can I do with a degree in insert intended study here?" and many websites that respond to this will give you a list of possible top-notch careers.

i heard that being an ambassador takes a lot of work, for example being a well known business leader who has connections to both parties and knows the prime minister/president, etc. etc. OR you have to work for a long time as a diplomat.

foreign affairs also include interpreting, right? I'd kinda like to work as an interpreter, but don't know which languages to study in university, and if I CAN study multiple languages.

On a side-note: What careers do people in Discovery Travel and Living have? Those guys who go around the globe showing us how glamorous and lucky they are, blah blah blah.

Thanks