What would you do if you were in control of IB Survival.com

Graeme

I am posting this here because I feel that it will get more attention.

I am basically writing this to get your views on what you would like to see here at IB Survival.

Although I feel like the forum is great as it is, I feel like there are ways in which we could improve.

The question is, if you were in control of this site, and you could do anything, what would you do? How would you structure the site? What would you add?

Just curious to hear some opinions. :lol:

I'm all ears.

• Like 6

Impose a minimum download limit post number of 10 or 15.

-or-

Impose a breast-for-tat policy where people get something, for contributing something.

Just to stop the freeloaders. Great initiative Graeme, it's definitely more umm cozy and close-knit than TSR or IBScrewed which is great!

• Like 2

You don't think that's because most of the people who are posting already know each other through TSR?

That and there are only 3 or 4 people posting in the forums and there are no n00bs like in TSR. :lol: . I like it when there's nobody asking all those stupid questions. I was at that stage once, but people: look before you post all those dumb questions.

And you're scaring people off. Wouldn't want them to think we don't actually want to help them.

:P:P . That's just me. I won't mind helping you answer all the questions. That should be your designation here, IB Problem Solver. :lol:

That and there are only 3 or 4 people posting in the forums and there are no n00bs like in TSR. :lol: . I like it when there's nobody asking all those stupid questions. I was at that stage once, but people: look before you post all those dumb questions.

haha me remembers my days back then :P

"A in TOK?" thread, "controversial topics thread" >. :P

If I were in control I would...add one or two extra subforums I think, for some off-topic talk. Yeah I know there is the "news of the world" one but I was thinking of something lighter like movies/books/I don't know - maybe it'll make the place even more active. Just a suggestion though ofcourse, take it/modify it/ignore it, do what you want :lol:

If I were in control I would...add one or two extra subforums I think, for some off-topic talk. Yeah I know there is the "news of the world" one but I was thinking of something lighter like movies/books/I don't know - maybe it'll make the place even more active. Just a suggestion though ofcourse, take it/modify it/ignore it, do what you want :P

Dude, just make a thread in here (Gen Discussions) if you want to talk those stuff. There's a whole forum here on General Discussion for you to use. No one's stopping you starting threads! :lol:

We didn't want to start the forum too large, since we didnt' expect thousands of posters right away. We'll expand when we need to but for now, this Gen Discussion subforum is for talking about anything and everything that is not IB. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ollintonatiuh

Uh! what a dream!!

I'd start sending emails to good IB school students inviting them to join and create study and linking groups so as to make the IB really international!!

I would be cool to have a thread about applying to university,

I know that wouldn't be strictly IB but the next stage on....

Oh and i know it sounds harsh but i would kick out all the people who dont post anything! :P I'm evil I know but i have a feeling some people just post 5 comments then crib everyones work......... :0 Maybe a clock of some sort that moniters when they last posted then boot them if they havent posted in like a year.... :punish:

Oh speaking of clocks, i don't understand the time on the clock on the main page! It has a different time to what my computer clock says.

EDIT: wait i think the clock is better now....nevermind!

Edited by margaret

I would be cool to have a thread about applying to university,

I know that wouldn't be strictly IB but the next stage on....

Oh and i know it sounds harsh but i would kick out all the people who dont post anything! :D I'm evil I know but i have a feeling some people just post 5 comments then crib everyones work......... :0 Maybe a clock of some sort that moniters when they last posted then boot them if they havent posted in like a year.... :P

Oh speaking of clocks, i don't understand the time on the clock on the main page! It has a different time to what my computer clock says.

EDIT: wait i think the clock is better now....nevermind!

we can't really kick out members who've made 5 good posts :( unless they're spammy posts.. then we ban them :punish:

though you're right about the Uni thread thingy :D I can write up the UCAS/ american Uni applications advice... I'll get on it as soon as I can. Also I think bio aqua has started a thread about the international examinations which would help you apply almost everywhere :P so there's a helpful Uni thread there :(

• Like 2

we can't really kick out members who've made 5 good posts :P unless they're spammy posts.. then we ban them :punish:

though you're right about the Uni thread thingy :D I can write up the UCAS/ american Uni applications advice... I'll get on it as soon as I can. Also I think bio aqua has started a thread about the international examinations which would help you apply almost everywhere :( so there's a helpful Uni thread there :(

Cool, can't wait for the thread! :P

Speaking of UCAS.....HOW COME THE UCAS POINTS FOR IB ARE NOT USED BY UNIVERSITIES ARGH :D

You get an offer of say 40 IB points which is LOADS of UCAS POINTS! Not the equivalent A level offer they want....gurrrr....

lol you can start a thread talking about UCAS/whatever uni matters you want in GD.

Speaking of...I'm wondering, do you think we need a university subforum? It might make things less complicated and more organised than cramming it all in GD.

I'd say so, I think there will be a lot of info to put up for University seeming as it is a big step. Subjects, admissions, student life etc etc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You know when you save something to My Favourites, it has that little icon next to it? Well, if I were in control of IB Survival, I would change that little icon. :P Just saying, my My Favourites looks all nice and pretty, and then IB Survival just has the Internet Explorer icon next to it. It's ruining my feng shui. :(

Seriously, it would look more professional. :P

You know when you save something to My Favourites, it has that little icon next to it? Well, if I were in control of IB Survival, I would change that little icon. :P Just saying, my My Favourites looks all nice and pretty, and then IB Survival just has the Internet Explorer icon next to it. It's ruining my feng shui. :(

Seriously, it would look more professional. :P

It's funny you should say that. We used to have the icon but I think I lost it when I relaunched the forum. I'll add it again now.

EDIT: Done :( .

• 4 weeks later...

maybe (if possible) give invitation links for members...so that if people come in through a specific member, then it benefit the already present member...this would increase the incentive for people to tell more people abt it...and get more members. (not that i haven't told my friends already though...lol)

btw...just out of curiosity, since this is a free site "so far", how do you manage to run it without taking money from neone...from what i know, there is usually a monthly/yearly charge for hosting websites rite?

• Graeme unpinned this topic