What would you do if you were in control of IB Survival.com

Graeme

I would add a live group chat option like they have in some forums where you can chat with other users whoa re online. I think they do have something like that for VIP subscribers but we need one for everybody. Also there should be more colorful themes.

I do think the VIP shoutbox should be kept separate though. I don't know about the other VIPs/mods, but there's some stuff that I (and others) have talked about that wouldn't be suitable for the...uninitiated. :guilty:

• Like 5

I would add a live group chat option like they have in some forums where you can chat with other users whoa re online. I think they do have something like that for VIP subscribers but we need one for everybody. Also there should be more colorful themes.

I do think the VIP shoutbox should be kept separate though. I don't know about the other VIPs/mods, but there's some stuff that I (and others) have talked about that wouldn't be suitable for the...uninitiated. :guilty:

the shoutbox is only for VIPs? :o

:yep: Haven't you ever wondered why non-mods/non-VIPs never post anything in it?

:yep: Haven't you ever wondered why non-mods/non-VIPs never post anything in it?

I just thought no one else really cares :P i assumed the few of you who post know each other on IBS so something like that :P

I just thought no one else really cares :P i assumed the few of you who post know each other on IBS so something like that :P

Most of us have been here for a while, so we got to know each other through loads of late night, semi-intelligent conversations. ;)

• Like 2

I, in all honesty, do not believe that you are a "slave" of the IBO. As a note on the side, I do not think that it is called the IBO at this juncture. Anyway, throughout my posts, since you brought this to my concern, I have expressed some arguments in regards to why I believe the IBDP is not the best program. The IBDP works for some individuals. For others, it does not work very well. I love being on this forum to read in regards to multifarious posts regarding the IB program in general. I participated in a survey, gave advice, and responded to posts in a fair manner. I hope that you are not taking my responses as a gesture that I would like to run the forum. I just stated in my previous posts that I am confused by the fact that another moderator would bring my post to attention that appeared to be attached to this thread. The thread specifically asked for my opinion in regards to what could be done for the forum. I thought that I could implement a suggestion, however, I did not demand anything of this forum. As I have mentioned before, the IBPP has its advantages, which I have mentioned in previous posts, however, I also states the disadvantages of the IBDP. You have to weigh both of the ends of the spectrum in terms of the multifarious perspectives. I hope that I am not offending anybody on this forum.

Actually, no. This is the first time you've even mentioned something balanced in this regard. It's one thing to argue that you're providing an alternate perspective, it's quite another to actually provide that perspective. The only reasoning you've given about why you dislike the IB is "it works for some individuals and not for others". That's not even a good reason.

Also. You. Still. Haven't. Answered. My. Question. Why are you avoiding answering it?

I have already elaborated with other posts, which should disregard your previous statement oriented toward one of my posts. I was not aiming to write another essay in the time I wrote that message.

Also. You. Still. Haven't. Answered. My. Question. Why are you avoiding answering it?

Let's end this already. Instead of discussing on how you left the IB or how it was not for you, answer Arrowhead's question. Why did you leave the IBDP? If you are so keen on letting people know you are a dropout then people are keen to know why you dropped out. Just make a simple list of a couple relevant reasons and end this argument.

And by the way what do you do in your free time (other than using IB Survival)?

Oh yeah and if you find internet discussions interesting may I direct you to Reddit? I feel you would like that site. Also sports are a good past time activity. I would also suggest you take up some form of debate club or activity at your school.

And also remember to be nice and polite to moderators. They work hard to keep this site usable for IB students.

Edited by r1111
  • Like 4

Let's end this already. Instead of discussing on how you left the IB or how it was not for you, answer Arrowhead's question. Why did you leave the IBDP? If you are so keen on letting people know you are a dropout then people are keen to know why you dropped out. Just make a simple list of a couple relevant reasons and end this argument.

And by the way what do you do in your free time (other than using IB Survival)?

Oh yeah and if you find internet discussions interesting may I direct you to Reddit? I feel you would like that site. Also sports are a good past time activity. I would also suggest you take up some form of debate club or activity at your school.

And also remember to be nice and polite to moderators. They work hard to keep this site usable for IB students.

Someone make this guy a VIP already.

• Like 2

If I were to have control of the forum, which would be highly unlikely due to the fact that I have only been a member for a week or so, I would have a section for former students of the IB program to discuss why they left. Also, they would be able to discuss alternatives and tips for those seeking the path of leaving the IB program. I believe that in order for a forum to be completely helpful in terms of its related purpose and title, it needs to include the entire spectrum, not just what would be geared toward just the students who are currently in the IB program. In reality, the students who have already been through the IBDP would actually seem to need their own section, too.

Thank you for bringing an alternative perspective to the forum. We will take the suggestions of a non-IBrelated forum (or more such, a forum for students who dropped out) into consideration and maybe pilot it to see if it has a demand.

The way we subcategorise (i.e bring out new forums) is by identifying a demand for them, because we don't want the place to have a lot of subcategories with no one visits.

I would like to point out that this thread has gone off topic into a rant about people's opinions on the IB. Open a thread in chat and have a go at each other by all means, but I will have to delete any posts further on that topic in this thread.

Otherwise, I think you've made the whole of the IBS community curious as to why you've dropped out (including me) so please break the cliff hanger and tell us already (again not in this thread).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think everyone should have access to file downloads. Not only the VIPs. If IBSurvival is dependent on the money from VIP subscriptions, they can get a few more ads.

There's a reason for the restriction of file downloads. To quote: "If you do not want to pay for being VIP, you can contribute to the forum in terms of files, such as sample assessments, notes etc. Then we will VIP you at our own discretion when we see that you've contributed sufficiently." Both of these lead to an enriched site experience - VIP subscribers providing the funding needed to keep the backbone of the site going, and VIP members providing the content and aid to other members that keeps the site alive. Ads detract from the site experience, hence why they aren't present on most of IBSurvival - if you wish to become a VIP, paying or contributing is how to do it!

I think everyone should have access to file downloads. Not only the VIPs. If IBSurvival is dependent on the money from VIP subscriptions, they can get a few more ads.

In addition to Rahul's answer, it is worth noting that this page is mainly a forum, not a file distribution page. In order to ensure that it stays that way, there has been placed a restriction on the file library and a greater emphasis on the forum. The file library is in many ways an incentive to contribute to this page, either by being helpful or by paying a small amount.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Posts by students who need help choosing their subjects are quite common here, so I think it'd be great to have a sub forum specifically for that. As of now, such posts can be seen in General Discussion, General IB Discussion and Pre-IB/MYP (for the most part) which makes deciding where to post somewhat confusing. Said forum could also have stickies with general advice on selections based on future career plans.

While the current system is alright, I believe a separate forum would definitely be more advantageous. People who need help would be able to find the relevant area for their questions with ease and people who are knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of matter and want to help can easily find all such posts in one place.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll provide a chatbox for public, so all members can join the conversation

There is one that is accessible once you've upgraded to VIP. We cannot provide  it to everyone unfortunately because that'll kill our data allowance from the server providers :(

We are a free running service in the end so there's only so much we can provide! But the reward is to be reaped once you have contributed to our society!

There is one that is accessible once you've upgraded to VIP. We cannot provide  it to everyone unfortunately because that'll kill our data allowance from the server providers :(

We are a free running service in the end so there's only so much we can provide! But the reward is to be reaped once you have contributed to our society!

oh .___.

But I also think about changing the theme too, since this is a forum

oh .___.

But I also think about changing the theme too, since this is a forum

Changing which theme?

• 2 months later...

Make everyone as a VIP and eradicate discrepancy in gaining knowledge....Why can't IB survival think of it...

To gain knowledge, I would suggest reading your textbooks and doing your own damn work. The files are for people looking for help with their work in order to better their score. It has nothing to do with "gaining knowledge" as you put it.  

You have been asking only questions in this forum (oh and then also asking why you're not getting stars for "contributing"!). You have not contributed at all. 

The point of the VIP system is to get funds for the running of the site, and encourage people to provide solid content. IBS is not some kind of charity service where our hearts are warmed if we are able to help an IB student do well. In other words, we are not obligated to you. Those who have contributed significantly have a right to expect something back from this site, and you can identify them by the star next to their username. They are the people who have access to files, will often get more detailed help from other members, etc. 

So really, i'd advise you to please stop complaining. 

• Graeme unpinned this topic