What would you do if you were in control of IB Survival.com

Graeme

maybe (if possible) give invitation links for members...so that if people come in through a specific member, then it benefit the already present member...this would increase the incentive for people to tell more people abt it...and get more members. (not that i haven't told my friends already though...lol)

I think this may be a good idea. I'll have a look around and see how easy/hard this would be to implement. I'll let you know what comes up. :P

btw...just out of curiosity, since this is a free site "so far", how do you manage to run it without taking money from neone...from what i know, there is usually a monthly/yearly charge for hosting websites rite?

Yes, you are correct. I pay monthly for hosting, but I have a very good hosting deal, and as the site is quite small, it does not cost much to run at all. If the site were to grow exponentially, then I would have to work out some sort of financial plan, but at the moment, there really aren't any problems as far as costs go. I may eventually set up a sort of "donate" thing where people can donate a dollar or two, and the site will pay for itself :P .

IB Survival is great, and has been an excellent resource for me as a student of the IB. If I were running it I'd try to encourage members to tell other IB students/schools about it. I mean, I don't know what the IB Survival servers are like (or...how many members it can manage) so if the number right now is ideal then thats cool, but as many people as possible should know about this awesome website!

IB Survival is great, and has been an excellent resource for me as a student of the IB. If I were running it I'd try to encourage members to tell other IB students/schools about it. I mean, I don't know what the IB Survival servers are like (or...how many members it can manage) so if the number right now is ideal then thats cool, but as many people as possible should know about this awesome website!

We encourage growth, but I don't personally have the time to go around advertising. If you want to tell people about the site, please do. At our current rate of growth, it will be quite a long time before the server starts to care. :) I wouldn't worry about that. :D

In my opinion this is a great way to meet the IB programme completely. The site is excellent but I think there should be more members (who will post) and yeax,maybe eliminate dishonest students as asdqwe said :) Also, you could think about different methods which could motivate us to write about (discusing about different issues?)

Also, you could think about different methods which could motivate us to write about (discusing about different issues?)

Well...shouldn't you be telling us how to do that? What motivates you to talk more? You are totally welcome to introduce issues you'd like to discuss.

To be honest from a moderating point of view I like the small community as it is now since it's easier to keep track of things but from the stronger, admin point of view, I would like the site to grow more.

At the moment we have 558 members and a whooping 396 have never made a post (probably about 20 who haven't even validated). :) That is a huge percentage that makes me wonder why they bother registering in the first place. Maybe people just need a little time to break into the forum before posting. I know I lurked around for months at most of my previous forums before becoming a regular poster. Or it could be something is preventing them from posting...which brings me to:

If you mention the download as a motivation to post...or the fact that you can't download yet as a demotivation, it's sort of a circular argument. If a user is going to argue that he doesn't post because he can't download, well our answer would be if he posts then he will be able to download eventually. When that eventually is, it's kind of up to you....On the other hand if you let the lack of download at the time being demotivate you from posting then obviously you can never download...But I may be a bit presumptious in thinking that's the reason why people register and don't post.

We hope our users would spread the word (which I know Bio-aqua, among others, have done) and we, ourselves, have tried to advertise around the internet. We can probably get people to visit but it's significantly harder to get people to start posting, especially if they're not inclined to. But then I've said before, developing a community will take time so I'm still rather optimistic. :D

Well...shouldn't you be telling us how to do that? What motivates you to talk more? You are totally welcome to introduce issues you'd like to discuss.

To be honest from a moderating point of view I like the small community as it is now since it's easier to keep track of things but from the stronger, admin point of view, I would like the site to grow more.

At the moment we have 558 members and a whooping 396 have never made a post (probably about 20 who haven't even validated). :) That is a huge percentage that makes me wonder why they bother registering in the first place. Maybe people just need a little time to break into the forum before posting. I know I lurked around for months at most of my previous forums before becoming a regular poster. Or it could be something is preventing them from posting...which brings me to:

If you mention the download as a motivation to post...or the fact that you can't download yet as a demotivation, it's sort of a circular argument. If a user is going to argue that he doesn't post because he can't download, well our answer would be if he posts then he will be able to download eventually. When that eventually is, it's kind of up to you....On the other hand if you let the lack of download at the time being demotivate you from posting then obviously you can never download...But I may be a bit presumptious in thinking that's the reason why people register and don't post.

We hope our users would spread the word (which I know Bio-aqua, among others, have done) and we, ourselves, have tried to advertise around the internet. We can probably get people to visit but it's significantly harder to get people to start posting, especially if they're not inclined to. But then I've said before, developing a community will take time so I'm still rather optimistic. :D

Maybe an automated private message signed by "HMS Chocolate" or "~LC~" or "Deus" instead of "the administration team" maybe the second day after registering, expressing our delight in having a new member on board and emphasizing that they are welcome to post anything (given they topics are in the right thread/forums) anytime. Maybe even link to some of the "welcome" threads like "Who are you" thread.

The welcome would be a much more personal one and it'll make them feel special/important :D

Idk, just an idea...

Not a bad idea...I'll try it. :)

~HMSChocolate

just had a new idea...why not make the arcade section of the ib survival open to other users as well...not just vip

this would increase incentive for ppl to join the website and over time, they mite actually start posting msgs on the forums rather than just playing games

it wud also give competition for some ppl who wanted to have a decent challenge...*cough cough...cixelsyD*...lol...and help the entire gaming community as well too

I've only been at this site for an hour or so, and I'm already in love with the community. The best way is to get the word across, tomorrow morning i'm going to pass this site around to all my friends, it's seriously so easy to interact with people that know what TOK is (and very helpful for that matter).

i also had another idea...you can have a most valuable member list...and to get on top of the list, one has to prove that he is realli helpful by getting certain points...points can be given for USEFUL posts or for the # of times his files have been downloaded...therefore, there would be an incentive for ppl to put up their files and try to become the MVM of the month/year and so on...

also, the points sys could later be used for better rewards rather than JUST the MVM...u cud partner up with some other website and the MVM could get a free membership to that website...so that way ur rewards get better and the other site gets a chance to advertise their stuff by giving free membership out...

At the moment we have 558 members and a whooping 396 have never made a post (probably about 20 who haven't even validated). :lol: That is a huge percentage that makes me wonder why they bother registering in the first place. Maybe people just need a little time to break into the forum before posting. I know I lurked around for months at most of my previous forums before becoming a regular poster. Or it could be something is preventing them from posting...which brings me to:

well we could all think about new ideas and issues :D I really like the forum and I already told to my friends about this site :D but also, sometimes the problem is because some of them just dont have enough time...or wants to get new ideas from tok or something else <_>

What would be so cool is if there was like IB REVIEW Podcast or something... like make fun memorable songs for math formulas and physics etc. Not long boring 1 hr lectures... because it would take too long to make and it would not be as interesting. You know that there are some songs out there that you hate, yet it still gets stuck in your head!.. mix a lil britney spears with some history facts... and the information is stuck in your head for good? eheh?

We could like vote on a song that everyone enjoys and remembers well... and then vote on a topic or something that was extremely hard to remember and just take out all the main points and make it into a the song corresponding to the melody.. would it be illegal to do that? Then someone can sing it and post the voice video in the forum or podcast... and.... then everyones hooked and before you know it we will be launching our own IB Survival CD! lol ^_^ )

I got the idea from iTunes podcast, there is free access to lectures from UC Berkeley.. you can also find them on youtube. I think that is just awsome to get the material out there.

Don't you feel like you are wasting time everyday sometimes and you just wish you could bring the book with you but you cant? Since I will join the fitness center sometime soon, I will be listening to my iPod and I think it would be good to have something like that. Oh and my one hour and 30 min transportation back home -.-

Ahh I do not know how to use the podcast in general though... I think I will check into the podcast more, there are a lot of useful stuff there you can subscribe for free.

I know it may be silly... >.> I just thought I should get the idea out anyways instead of leaving it for nothing.

Do you like the idea? :D

just had a new idea...why not make the arcade section of the ib survival open to other users as well...not just vip

this would increase incentive for ppl to join the website and over time, they mite actually start posting msgs on the forums rather than just playing games

it wud also give competition for some ppl who wanted to have a decent challenge...*cough cough...cixelsyD*...lol...and help the entire gaming community as well too

I second this motion! LoL

:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright guys, it's approaching Christmas. If any of you have any new features or things you would like to see on IB Survival, please let us know by posting here, and I'll do what I can to make whatever you want come true! :wub:

Competitions? Ideas? Anything!

Unlike the IBO, we'll listen to you! :D

• Graeme unpinned this topic