What would you do if you were in control of IB Survival.com

Graeme

dear admin(s), I wonder why in threads, our statuses are written like twice

you see, like @timtamboy63's status "5 hours of writing a physics lab is not very fun. Now all I got left is my English Speech to plan and my economics news study to do. fml"

it's like posted twice as you can see two boxes there where one covers the other. and sometimes it covers the post too

and it is sometimes annoying, I mean it takes an effort to copy & paste his post to see the text being covered

can that be fixed?

Why not showing people's real names? Well, maybe if they are willing to. Maybe when we post in a thread, the name should just be our display name but when people visit our profile, the real name should be there?

And just now I was looking for this thread and I put: "What would you do if you were in control of ib survival" in the search box and then it said: "One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords" -___- I personally think that the 3 characters limit is rather annoying (sorry) because then you cannot say I, we, us, am, is, etc. I know that it might be a bit unimportant but I rather find it somehow make us inconvenient to search ;)

• 3 months later...

I understand your frustration, but the 3 character minimum limit is set by MySQL and not an option for us. At the moment I can't change it.

The minimum and maximum length of words to be indexed is defined by the ft_min_word_len and ft_max_word_len system variables (available as of MySQL 4.0.0). See Section 5.3.3, “Server System Variables”. The default minimum value is four characters. The default maximum depends on your version of MySQL. If you change either value, you must rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes. For example, if you want three-character words to be searchable, you need to edit my.cnf (or my.ini on Windows systems) and set the ft_min_word_len variable by putting the following lines in an option file:

[mysqld]

ft_min_word_len=3

Then restart the server and rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes. Also note particularly the remarks regarding myisamchk in the instructions following this list.

We should be able to fix it once we get a VPS.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry if I'm repeating an idea, I haven't really read every single post.

But, I can't exactly remember how I discovered the site. I must have been googling "IB help" or something and it happened to pop up. Well, before that I had only known about TSR, but this was much better!

As of now, not many people may recognize what we actually do or go through to get a diploma, THE IB diploma. We're a special group of people, and being able to talk to so many people from so many places going through the same thing is wonderful. The shared global outlook and that IB learner profile we've subconsciously adopted makes it impossible to relate with other high school students. Anyway, to the point, the site really helped me, and I think it would be great if more and more students would join. There are many IB schools in the world. Let's say we have one student from say 500 to a thousand of them. If each of those students could volunteer to advertise and promote the site in their schools, we'd have thousands of students join each year! What a wonderful community this would be! Perhaps even getting the IB coordinator involved would help. He or She need only know that it is extremely helpful, and we can skip the part about it being as addictive as Facebook :P

Hey, it does promote IBO's vision of "worldliness"

Maybe even further down the line, rather than selecting just your country for your profile, you could select your school. The site would be a link of many IB schools all around the world.

• 5 months later...

I'd introduce a rank structure at 1/10/50/100/250/500 posts so that we can have some authority within the normal members.

instead I suggest monthly Awards or annual Awards.

I've just gone back to TSR after almost a year not using it, and I see some things there that I want here. one of them is the Member of the Month Award kind of thing. I think it'll motivate more people (who doesn't help as often) to help more often as to get the awards.

If I was in control of IBS, I'd get the badges back! 1. They motivated people to help in certain way. 2. They looked good! :) That's basically it. Plus, one could ask for help to specific people that are known for being knowledgeable in certain topics, such as Chemistry, Physics, etc... Why were they erased in the first place? I don't understand

• Graeme unpinned this topic