Longest Books Ever Read

Daedalus

149 members have voted

1. 1. How long is the longest book you've ever read?

Just started a book (physical book, in one volume, in English) that is 2192 pages long, tiny text, huge pages (Concise Anthology of American Literature 2nd Edition if you're wondering... and yes, it is called concise, and no, it doesn't make sense!) - but the longest I've ever managed so far is some Robert Jordan book, probably 1000+. What are your greatest achievements? What is the longest book you have browsed?

In terms of novels probably War and Peace or Les Miserables (I highly recommend these two masterpieces of literature to anyone who has time)

In terms of just books in general probaby this one book about Russian history. Four volumes, one thousand pages each. I wish I rememebered the name and I would recommend it too...

Each version/publication of these books is different in length due to font and page size, but my copies were each two thousand plus

Edited by Center Field

I prefer to read short books rather than long ones, if only because I tend to lose interest in books (regardless of how much I'm enjoying them) after a little while, and I'd rather finish a short book than get a little ways into a longer one. So, the longest book I've ever actually finished was Crime and Punishment, a book I really did not enjoy. It was 550 pages or so, as I recall.

I'm going to be controversial and say that I don't think it's an achievement to read a long book.

I think it's an achievement to plough through a book which is as dull as ditchwater. It doesn't necessarily matter about its length -- although these are the only sorts of books where the more content you have, the higher the factor by which overall boredom is multiplied. This is therefore the only circumstance where a longer book might be a greater achievement than a shorter book... and by achievement, I mean proud display of masochism :) Personally I've never liked being masochistic, so would prefer to replace 'achievement' with 'dubious personal choice' and leave it at that!

• Like 3

I've read a few long novels but the longest (single volume) was Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell which I just checked for 1048 pages. Though as Sandwich says above, the length of a novel does not have to be very relevant. The same year I read Charles ****ens Hard Times which is not even 400 pages, and I assure you that I sure had hard times reading through it...

I'm going to be controversial and say that I don't think it's an achievement to read a long book.

I think it's an achievement to plough through a book which is as dull as ditchwater. It doesn't necessarily matter about its length -- although these are the only sorts of books where the more content you have, the higher the factor by which overall boredom is multiplied. This is therefore the only circumstance where a longer book might be a greater achievement than a shorter book... and by achievement, I mean proud display of masochism :) Personally I've never liked being masochistic, so would prefer to replace 'achievement' with 'dubious personal choice' and leave it at that!

It isn't so much an achievement so much as a marker of someone who has a lot of time on their hands...although there is no dearth of novels that are long as well as artistic achievements. Reading quality pieces of work is the issue. If a book provides a pleasurable experience, it should be read, and treasured, as an artistic specimen.

I mean, c'mon, who in hell has the time to read Remembrance of All Things Past, and who would want to?

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's an achievement to plough through a book which is as dull as ditchwater. It doesn't necessarily matter about its length -- although these are the only sorts of books where the more content you have, the higher the factor by which overall boredom is multiplied. This is therefore the only circumstance where a longer book might be a greater achievement than a shorter book... and by achievement, I mean proud display of masochism :D Personally I've never liked being masochistic, so would prefer to replace 'achievement' with 'dubious personal choice' and leave it at that!

Haha true. I consider it an achievement that I actually eventually read all of Heart of Darkness which bored me to tears while I was supposed to read it for IB and never actually finished it for IB. I really didn't feel any better for having read HoD. I have a passionate dislike for that book, even though I understand all the fuss around it and why people consider it great literature (and it is).

Possibly my greatest display of masochism must had been to plough through the entire Twilight series.

In all seriousness? I don't really pay attention to how long the book is, because if it's a good book (by which I mean I enjoy it and get really into it) then I would get through it in one night if I have that time. So the long and short of it is that I don't remember what the longest book I ever read was.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...