University of Melbourne or Sydney University?

kingdomx

Hi, I know that there is still a while untill I finish IB and start applying for UNI.

But our school always tries to get us one step ahead.

I was just wondering, if I wanted to do two degrees, Commerce and Law, would it be better if I went to UOS or UOM?

I am leaning towards Melbourne, because I like the fact that they do sequential degrees, but are there any good things about Sydney as well? ]

Thanks

i think melbourne's school of business is well known and i think in terms of rankings they are high as well

besides, melbourne is a much better city to live in!!!!

but in melbourne, you have to do an undergrad program called the melbourne model (commerce or arts) before law :blush:

Thanks saunders is god, I am leaning towards Melbourne as well, hopefully I get in though!

Lol, yea, but I'm actually looking towards doing that undergrad program, because then I get a double degree and a masters in law!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to numerous open days (Monash, Deakin etc) and after much deliberation I believe Melbourne Uni is the place to be. If ANU wasn't so out of the way I might consider it, but I'll settle for Commerce at Melbourne. Plus, the facilities are amazing!

Might see some of you guys there next year! =)

I've been to numerous open days (Monash, Deakin etc) and after much deliberation I believe Melbourne Uni is the place to be. If ANU wasn't so out of the way I might consider it, but I'll settle for Commerce at Melbourne. Plus, the facilities are amazing!

Might see some of you guys there next year! =)

yeah we should have like an ib survival reunion at uni 8-)

I would prefer MELBOURNE more although I live i Sydney :-) Firstly, it ranks high and secondly, the city rocks :)

I agree i want to go there too and im trying to get my friend nat aka azulverde to go there too (she wants to be a doctor from johns hopkins or ivy leaugue... not cool 8-)

• 3 weeks later...

Ehhh, actually... I've done a lot more research and now I'm doing the whole Melbourne or Monash debate in my head. In 2010 Melbourne has a clearly-in score of 94.8 (a 36 IB), but the double degree of Commerce/Economics at Monash has a score of 92.15 (33). I'm fairly confident I can get both of these, but scores aside, for me Monash (Clayton) only involves having to catch 1 bus only (30 minutes, 1 hour total) whereas Melbourne requires me to do walking/bus/train/tram/tram/walking every day (over an hour just to get in, over 2 hours a day on public transport! :D).

Furthermore, I have spoken to my Careers advisor and she thinks that a grad with two bachelors is far more likely to be employed than a grad with only a single degree, regardless of whether you got it at Monash or Melbourne. In all honesty, I'm not going to get sucked in to the reputation game because my mum's said they're both top Universities (between 30 - 45) and she is a lecturer at Monash, so she would know.

Ah well, funny how opinions can change! Plus, I think that originally when I saw Melbourne's lecture theatre I was sucked into the whole 'WOW' factor of the facilities and not of the actual course so to speak. Looks like I won't be meeting some of you lovely IBers after all! :D Ehehehehe...

Business Management HL
Economics HL
English HL
Chemistry SL
German SL
Maths SL

Edited by benjii

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WELL then, lucky I stumbled across this thread and have the chance to show off everything i know :lc: hehe

ok granted, I can't help you with the sydney/melbourne debate, but come on... Melbourne is such a better city!!!

In regards to Monash or Melbourne, I reckon it all comes down to how set you are on studying law, and of course, what score you get. I personally want to do Arts/Law at Melbourne Uni, because a) I might change my mind about doing law and b) I prefer the uni and it's close to where I live. I personally have to take a train and a bus to Monash (compared to one 10 minute train to Melbourne), and having STILL not gotten my L's, this will just be too much effort for my liking.

One reason why Melbourne Uni switched to the Melbourne Model is because heaps of people were dropping out of law, after doing it only because they got the marks to get in and not really knowing what they wanted to do with their lives. Waste of time and resources. So the upside of the model is that you get more time to think about your life. But it also means that the post-grad law is far more intense because it's all concentrated, unlike a double degree.

In regards to your final IB score/ATAR, the model gives you a second shot at getting into law if you don't get a guaranteed place. A guaranteed full-fee-paying place into the JD (postgrad law) program needs a 99.0 ATAR (42) and a CSP place needs a 99.9 (45. sidebar, how STUPID is the conversion now?! IB is seriously undervalued in Australia). So if you miss out on a guaranteed place, to get into postgrad law, you need to have a 70%+ (second-class distinction) average in your undergraduate degree.

On the other hand, Monash is a lot more simple and requires a 98.25 (40) for a double degree of Commerce/Law. Your commerce and law subjects will be spread around and mixed up so it's not as law-intense as the JD, but like I said before, you're going straight into law so make sure that you really want to do it.

In the end, both are good unis, so for me personally, it all depends on my final mark. But i'll probably risk it all and hope i do well in my Arts degree at Melbourne because I'm just too lazy to go to Monash and am too much of a city gal to be stuck in Clayton haha.

Hope that helped... maybe I'll be seeing you in Melbourne uni doing law in a few years :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I plan on going to Melbourne Uni for bachelor of Arts and hopefully continue with JD for master.

As far as I'm aware of, I need 70%+ (second class) in bachelor to continue with JD. But is it possible to continue JD in the U.S. for master instead of continuing with JD in Melbourne? As much as I want to live in Melbourne, I'm not sure if I will want to study there for 6 years. I might want a change in master.

Any input would help. Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

WELL then, lucky I stumbled across this thread and have the chance to show off everything i know :lc: hehe

ok granted, I can't help you with the sydney/melbourne debate, but come on... Melbourne is such a better city!!!

In regards to Monash or Melbourne, I reckon it all comes down to how set you are on studying law, and of course, what score you get. I personally want to do Arts/Law at Melbourne Uni, because a) I might change my mind about doing law and b) I prefer the uni and it's close to where I live. I personally have to take a train and a bus to Monash (compared to one 10 minute train to Melbourne), and having STILL not gotten my L's, this will just be too much effort for my liking.

One reason why Melbourne Uni switched to the Melbourne Model is because heaps of people were dropping out of law, after doing it only because they got the marks to get in and not really knowing what they wanted to do with their lives. Waste of time and resources. So the upside of the model is that you get more time to think about your life. But it also means that the post-grad law is far more intense because it's all concentrated, unlike a double degree.

In regards to your final IB score/ATAR, the model gives you a second shot at getting into law if you don't get a guaranteed place. A guaranteed full-fee-paying place into the JD (postgrad law) program needs a 99.0 ATAR (42) and a CSP place needs a 99.9 (45. sidebar, how STUPID is the conversion now?! IB is seriously undervalued in Australia). So if you miss out on a guaranteed place, to get into postgrad law, you need to have a 70%+ (second-class distinction) average in your undergraduate degree.

On the other hand, Monash is a lot more simple and requires a 98.25 (40) for a double degree of Commerce/Law. Your commerce and law subjects will be spread around and mixed up so it's not as law-intense as the JD, but like I said before, you're going straight into law so make sure that you really want to do it.

In the end, both are good unis, so for me personally, it all depends on my final mark. But i'll probably risk it all and hope i do well in my Arts degree at Melbourne because I'm just too lazy to go to Monash and am too much of a city gal to be stuck in Clayton haha.

Hope that helped... maybe I'll be seeing you in Melbourne uni doing law in a few years :)

Ah so good to see I'm not the only one deliberating between the two.

I'm kind of confused about how entry into the JD works at Melbourne though, can you use an IB score/ATAR to guarantee you a place?! Like before you even start your first degree of the model?

I want to do Law/Arts btw.

• 6 months later...