Type II -- G-Force Tolerance

basak

For the second part (+Gz) one of the modifications to the model should be that we add a horizontal asymptote at y=1 since we are constantly exposed to a gravitational force of 9.81ms^-2 which is the same as 1g. Hence the human body can withstand a force of 1g for an infinite amount of time, right?

Hi, I know this was a while ago, and I'm a physics student doing this Math IA. I agree with your statement that there's a constant g-force around of 9.81 m^-2. Would you recommend me on putting that in my portfolio? I'm scared of making my portfolio too much on physics instead of investigating the math...

thank you for your help!

For the Vertical G-force part,

What could be limitations to model?

and I don't quite understand this: "what are the implications of model in terms of G-force acting on human being?

could anyone kindly tell me the answers to these Qs please?

Thank you.

For limitations you should think about where your model does not correspond with reality or alternatively think about what your model predicts will happen for very large or very small forces

For the second part (+Gz) one of the modifications to the model should be that we add a horizontal asymptote at y=1 since we are constantly exposed to a gravitational force of 9.81ms^-2 which is the same as 1g. Hence the human body can withstand a force of 1g for an infinite amount of time, right?

Hi, I know this was a while ago, and I'm a physics student doing this Math IA. I agree with your statement that there's a constant g-force around of 9.81 m^-2. Would you recommend me on putting that in my portfolio? I'm scared of making my portfolio too much on physics instead of investigating the math...

thank you for your help!

This is a discussion for limitations as it is not reasonable to expect humans to tolerate anything for an infinite amount of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the exponential function, y = abx to model my first part.. now my "revised" model will be the power function y = axb

but I dont know what y and x should be, any set of points? And even more embarressing... im not too sure how to

solve a and b ... like not a CLUE. I tried googling for some examples but its not helping. (oh and time is y and +g(x) is x for me since thats the only way the exponential function worked for me, so should it continue being like this when i do the power function?)

thanks in advance!

Edited by jessiep

For the Vertical G-force part,

What could be limitations to model?

and I don't quite understand this: "what are the implications of model in terms of G-force acting on human being?

could anyone kindly tell me the answers to these Qs please?

Thank you.

The text gives you most of the answers as it informs you of the limitation to the pressure that the body can withstand zand its different when concerning eyeballs in or eyeballs out

also if the human is trained he will be able to withstand more pressure than if hes not...

my advice to you is for you to reread the text for most of it

I used the exponential function, y = abx to model my first part.. now my "revised" model will be the power function y = axb

but I dont know what y and x should be, any set of points? And even more embarressing... im not too sure how to

solve a and b ... like not a CLUE. I tried googling for some examples but its not helping. (oh and time is y and +g(x) is x for me since thats the only way the exponential function worked for me, so should it continue being like this when i do the power function?)

thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if I'm too late here, but if you want to find the variable values you choose a point (from the ones in the table) and substitute its x- and y-values into the equation. Then just solve to get the b-value.

Thanks for defining the parameters; that definitely helped a ton.

I'm having trouble deriving the equation (although, of course, I can/have easily obtained it using PowerRegression), how can it be derived? Is it using the points (I think somebody mentioned this above)?

Also, just to clarify, "using technology" means you can legitamately use a Regression, without having to derive or anything, correct?

Yep, using the points will certainly give you what you need. And using technology technically means you can do so and leave out your own work, but solving analytically will certainly give you a boost--it gives you something to compare to, something to talk about, and shows a thorough understanding of how a model/parameters are obtained. It can only help to say "here is what I found, here is what the calculator says."

So, I have the points, but I'm a bit puzzled as to what to do with them, lol =/..

Like, I know that the general equation for Power Functions (which seems to be the best-fitting-model-function for the given set of data) is f(x) = a*x^b... You can easily plug in two points, but I'm not sure how to obtain the other part.

I tried to be a bit sneaky here and research how to derive a power function (Power Law -> Least Squares Fitting -> Haven't taken stats, yet -> :-( ). So, yeah, that didn't work out so well.

Any suggestions or aid would be so much appreciated.

Well...you need a and b, yes? And you have plenty of x and y to choose from. I'd pick a couple points and set up a system of equations, then solve. As in, you need two equations with points plugged in. And I don't know anything about stats lol, I always use a regression from the GDC to compare to my results.

Yeah, right after I typed that I was like "OH WAIT.." and figured it out; however, I was approached today by a few people and was a bit puzzled -- should g-force be the dependent or independent variable? I was trying to think of it logically, because instinctively I made time my independent variable. However, after thinking it over, I began to rationalize "Time is calculated FROM g-force," meaning, to obtain the time, you must see how long the person can undergo g-force value 40 (for argument's sake). Using that logic, g-force would be the independent variable, and that would make sense.

Let me know, maybe I'm thinking too deep into it =)

I see the logic of that, and have considered it...however my Physics teacher last year beat into our heads "TIME GOES ON THE X AXIS, NO MATTER WHAT" so that's what I based my selection on. I don't know if there are applications where this is not so...but I sure do remember the 50% on the lab my group failed because we thought time could be the dependent variable.....there's an argument for either side, I don't know the "official" verdict on whether it is permissible....do what you've been taught and go with your instinct....

my instructor told me that the time and not the g-force is being calculated in this experiment so the time is a dependent variable that is measured depending on the g-force applied ...

Ok, please i'm a bit confused at the question that says 'how well does it fit your model' and 'discuss any limitations to your model and implications of your model in term of G- forces acting on human beings'...Please any help needed ASAP. Mine is due tomorrow. :)

Ok, please i'm a bit confused at the question that says 'how well does it fit your model' and 'discuss any limitations to your model and implications of your model in term of G- forces acting on human beings'...Please any help needed ASAP. Mine is due tomorrow. :)

Hey, I'm doing the same IA at the moment.

Parameters in this case are explaing what your axes, X and Y, can, and cannot be.

Just double checking this, but did you get a logarithmic function model or exponential function model?

I got exponential function, if I didn't interpret it wrongly. How about you?

I got exponential as well, but a lot of other people got something different.

I got the power model

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem that IB 2012 had, no matter whether I used +Gx as the x axis or if I used time as the x axis, there is no equation (model) that seems to fit the graph. I really need help. Also my equation is in the ax^b format, is this correct?

indeed all the models are just okay, there's no perfect model.

well yes you can choose to model power equation, with general form ax^b

Thanks for defining the parameters; that definitely helped a ton.

I'm having trouble deriving the equation (although, of course, I can/have easily obtained it using PowerRegression), how can it be derived? Is it using the points (I think somebody mentioned this above)?

Also, just to clarify, "using technology" means you can legitamately use a Regression, without having to derive or anything, correct?

Yep, using the points will certainly give you what you need. And using technology technically means you can do so and leave out your own work, but solving analytically will certainly give you a boost--it gives you something to compare to, something to talk about, and shows a thorough understanding of how a model/parameters are obtained. It can only help to say "here is what I found, here is what the calculator says."

So, I have the points, but I'm a bit puzzled as to what to do with them, lol =/..

Like, I know that the general equation for Power Functions (which seems to be the best-fitting-model-function for the given set of data) is f(x) = a*x^b... You can easily plug in two points, but I'm not sure how to obtain the other part.

I tried to be a bit sneaky here and research how to derive a power function (Power Law -> Least Squares Fitting -> Haven't taken stats, yet -> :-( ). So, yeah, that didn't work out so well.

Any suggestions or aid would be so much appreciated.

Well...you need a and b, yes? And you have plenty of x and y to choose from. I'd pick a couple points and set up a system of equations, then solve. As in, you need two equations with points plugged in. And I don't know anything about stats lol, I always use a regression from the GDC to compare to my results.

Yeah, right after I typed that I was like "OH WAIT.." and figured it out; however, I was approached today by a few people and was a bit puzzled -- should g-force be the dependent or independent variable? I was trying to think of it logically, because instinctively I made time my independent variable. However, after thinking it over, I began to rationalize "Time is calculated FROM g-force," meaning, to obtain the time, you must see how long the person can undergo g-force value 40 (for argument's sake). Using that logic, g-force would be the independent variable, and that would make sense.

Let me know, maybe I'm thinking too deep into it =)

I see the logic of that, and have considered it...however my Physics teacher last year beat into our heads "TIME GOES ON THE X AXIS, NO MATTER WHAT" so that's what I based my selection on. I don't know if there are applications where this is not so...but I sure do remember the 50% on the lab my group failed because we thought time could be the dependent variable.....there's an argument for either side, I don't know the "official" verdict on whether it is permissible....do what you've been taught and go with your instinct....

my instructor told me that the time and not the g-force is being calculated in this experiment so the time is a dependent variable that is measured depending on the g-force applied ...

My IA is due in a couple days and I basically finished it a month ago. Now that I look at my IA again this variable thing is killing me.......

currently I chose time as my independent variable and g force as my dependent. I can think of arguments for both sides and honestly if the time wasn't the left column and didn't not show such a strong pattern i think i would have chosen g force as my independent variable.

What should I do?!??!?! will i lose marks if time is not the independent variable (IF so what how many points will i lose out of 20).

I think I did everything else fine and this variable thing is bothering me to death

Edited by Outis

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty now... I think I'm on the right track from looking at past posts, but I still have some questions. It would be helpful if I could have an answer soon- my project is due sometime this week. :dash: My teacher hasn't exactly been very helpful- I've been on break this past week and she gave the project to me the day we went on break. Yep.

I'm kind of confused. I'm leaning toward a power regression y= ax^b. Do I need to do it by hand? How do I do that? How do I calculate the r value? How do I explain justify picking this?