Type II -- G-Force Tolerance

basak

Is it assumed that we will use technology for the whole portfoilio?

If the question doesn't say 'using technology' then does that mean we can't??

Do we have to hand work anything out?? For e.g. the equation, or can we just use Excel??

I was wondering the same thing, because it asks you to create one, and then it says using technology create one, and then to compare these, specifically:

"On a new set of axes, draw your model function and the function you found using technology. Comment on any differences."

Would there be differences if you found them both using technology?? Or could you just try 2 different fit lines you found using tech, ie. power and exponential?

Do we have to hand work anything out?? For e.g. the equation, or can we just use Excel??

Its only assumed for you to use technology when the portfolio says "Using technology" the rest of it you have to do by hand...

At least.. I'm pretty sure thats what you do.

So some people think the equation is power.. to those people... How do you figure out the equation to a power function?

I'm really having trouble figuring out how to find the equation by hand...

@Mirb

Could you find it somehow by transforming a power graph until it looks similar to the original graph? Or maybe somehow substituting points?

I'm up to this part as well :P

I had to hand it in today...

I ended up making "educated guesses"

For example i knew that the exponent had to be negative due to the behaviour of the graph, and I guessed what the coefficient was by looking at the data.

I'm not so clever in the ways of math.

Best of luck. :]

• 2 weeks later...

My teacher told us to find the first function by hand, so that's what I'm going to do.

I have a question. When it gives you the second table and says "How well does your first model fit this new data?" does it mean to use the function we found when it said "What type of function models the behavior of the graph? Explain why you chose this function. Create an equation (a model) that fits the graph." or the one we found when it said "Use technology to find another function that models the data. On a new set of axes, draw your model function and the function you found using technology. Comment on any differences."?

I'm assuming it means the one we found when it said "What type of function models the behavior of the graph? Explain why you chose this function. Create an equation (a model) that fits the graph." but I wanted to make sure before I did all the work.

Also, what model is it referring to when it says "Discuss any limitations to your model and the implications of your model in terms of G-forces acting on a human being."?

Edited by theycallmebrookie

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what does it mean to apply our model to other situations (in the rubric) and were can we find those other situations?

Also would parameters for G force be the final and initial speed, and the lapse of time between those two? I am really unsure what are parameters...

And for constraints how do we define those? theoretically any g force can be applied...

Your help is appreciated

Cordially

Brrrrr

Ok, I've used different software to come to the conclusion of a power function as many of you have (ax^b) and the exponent is negative therefore its a rational function. I've also found a decent fit with a logarithmic graph, however the power function is better. I have no trouble creating a model with technology, but in order to score well, I have to create an algebraic model first. I would like to know how I can use algebra to find the parameters of ax^b or a/(bx^c). I would also like to know how I can algebraically find a logarithmic function.

Try using (1, 11) and (10,6) to derive a power function (by hand)

My teacher is allowing an Excel function and a GDC regression...so you could hypothetically not do ANY math for this portfolio

my teacher will take points off if we do too much by hand when we could be using technology! So, maybe you should just use the resources you have :P

How did you guys get to the equation...?

I just plotted it into Excel and grabbed the exponential function.

Can someone explain to me why it isn't Power but it is Exponential?

Power seems to fit even better too.

And how would you derive that equation by hand...

I also noticed someone talking about R-squared value... what is that?

That is something that I am very confused with as well.

What is the difference between a Power function and an Exponential function?

power is not a specific type of function, it is a "power fit" which is mostly just used to help you in the right direction of what type of equation would best fit your data.

Did anyone else get this portfolio paired with Topic 7:calculus? I was wondering if derivatives would help, since it concerns acceleration....haven't really looked at mine yet to know...

And does it seem a little skimpier than others (as in asking for a lot of calculator and excel legwork, rather than too much by-hand blood/sweat/tears)?

I have read earlier posts and few people asked this but no one really answered but what does it mean

Define appropriate variables and parameters, and identify any constraints for the data.

Is there anyone who knows this and could give me advice how to solve this. Anything really. I know the values can't be negative and that is it.

Anyone :P ???

I have read earlier posts and few people asked this but no one really answered but what does it mean

Define appropriate variables and parameters, and identify any constraints for the data.

Is there anyone who knows this and could give me advice how to solve this. Anything really. I know the values can't be negative and that is it.

Anyone :sadnod: ???

Variables: as simple as stating x and y. What are they? What units? How are they measured?

Parameters: things you know about this data

-why are x and y what they are (what axis does time usually go on)

-you know time can't be negative--what does that say about the nature of the function that will model this data?

-will the model ever lose accuracy? (presumably toward infinity)

-do you have enough given data to even create a model?

-is the given data valid? (cross cultural, age, weight?)

-most importantly, once you pick a function, what are the constants? (say it is exponential, what are the values of "a" and "b"?)

It seems really dumb to repeat much of what seems obvious, but basically it is asking you to meditate on the information and the implications--using what you are given and what you know, they want you to state ideas you have about potential function behavior---basically just clarify what EVERYTHING means. For instance, differences in notation are important (we have two data sets here, all you have to do is recognize that somewhere in word form!)

And in clarifying parameters....what are you trying to do? If you give a table, a function, maybe a graph, lovely---but why are you doing that? What is the goal? Those are the types of things you need to answer

Edited by lil romany
  • Like 5

Thanks for defining the parameters; that definitely helped a ton.

I'm having trouble deriving the equation (although, of course, I can/have easily obtained it using PowerRegression), how can it be derived? Is it using the points (I think somebody mentioned this above)?

Also, just to clarify, "using technology" means you can legitamately use a Regression, without having to derive or anything, correct?

I'm having trouble deriving the equation (although, of course, I can/have easily obtained it using PowerRegression), how can it be derived? Is it using the points (I think somebody mentioned this above)?

Also, just to clarify, "using technology" means you can legitamately use a Regression, without having to derive or anything, correct?

Yep, using the points will certainly give you what you need. And using technology technically means you can do so and leave out your own work, but solving analytically will certainly give you a boost--it gives you something to compare to, something to talk about, and shows a thorough understanding of how a model/parameters are obtained. It can only help to say "here is what I found, here is what the calculator says."

Yep, using the points will certainly give you what you need. And using technology technically means you can do so and leave out your own work, but solving analytically will certainly give you a boost--it gives you something to compare to, something to talk about, and shows a thorough understanding of how a model/parameters are obtained. It can only help to say "here is what I found, here is what the calculator says."

So, I have the points, but I'm a bit puzzled as to what to do with them, lol =/..

Like, I know that the general equation for Power Functions (which seems to be the best-fitting-model-function for the given set of data) is f(x) = a*x^b... You can easily plug in two points, but I'm not sure how to obtain the other part.

I tried to be a bit sneaky here and research how to derive a power function (Power Law -> Least Squares Fitting -> Haven't taken stats, yet -> :-( ). So, yeah, that didn't work out so well.

Any suggestions or aid would be so much appreciated.

So, I have the points, but I'm a bit puzzled as to what to do with them, lol =/..

Like, I know that the general equation for Power Functions (which seems to be the best-fitting-model-function for the given set of data) is f(x) = a*x^b... You can easily plug in two points, but I'm not sure how to obtain the other part.

I tried to be a bit sneaky here and research how to derive a power function (Power Law -> Least Squares Fitting -> Haven't taken stats, yet -> :-( ). So, yeah, that didn't work out so well.

Any suggestions or aid would be so much appreciated.

Well...you need a and b, yes? And you have plenty of x and y to choose from. I'd pick a couple points and set up a system of equations, then solve. As in, you need two equations with points plugged in. And I don't know anything about stats lol, I always use a regression from the GDC to compare to my results.