MIT or engineering university

Argiyama

I'm aiming to attend MIT, Massachusetts Inst of Technology. Anyone currently attending it and graduate from IB?? or anyone planning to go in for engineering?? Anyone has any information?? or what university would you recommend in engineering globally?

hey i plan to go there as well.....i have some rly close friends who graduated from MIT....

However, there are other great engineering universities as well like Caltec, Georgia tech, virginia tech, rice, stanford etc etc

Good luck to you

Well, internationally, Imperial college (London) is respected in Engineering, at least according to my IB Coordinator and friends <_< . So if you're interest in England too you might wanna take a look at it: http://imperial.ac.uk/

Oh yeah, i have heard of it so many times yet it did not come to my mind... However, i think that MIT and US engineering universities are way better than England's. Some best colleges in the world are also for sure in England like oxford, cambridge, london school of economics.........

well, to be honest, I disagree, Imperial is on the same level as MIT²... Besides it's kind of crude to generalize by saying "US engineering universities are way better than England's" - it really depends on what you study and where...

And even the Brits rank Imperial higher than LSE³ so I'm sure it's very good :P

___

² World university ranking tables, THES: http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?...post&id=239

³ The Times: http://www.phy.bris.ac.uk/ugadmissions/The...gue%20Table.htm

I'm applying there as well. Most likely I will get rejected. :P

Hey,

why do you say so because i mean look at your grades predicted below....it seems like you are not taking the IB diploma but instead, you are taking 7 IB courses and all of them have a 7 except 1 which is 6......so, i shouldn't worry too much and make sure to get those grades for real. By the way, what did you got on your SAT I and SATII (if you have taken it) because it is also an important factor and then, nothing can stop you....

So, good luck !

Hey,

why do you say so because i mean look at your grades predicted below....it seems like you are not taking the IB diploma but instead, you are taking 7 IB courses and all of them have a 7 except 1 which is 6......so, i shouldn't worry too much and make sure to get those grades for real. By the way, what did you got on your SAT I and SATII (if you have taken it) because it is also an important factor and then, nothing can stop you....

So, good luck !

Well not to dissapoint people out there or anything, I mean I'm applying there too next year. But IB isn't exactly going to help much on the application to MIT. I mean of course it helps, but not because it's IB. Just think that out of the 20k applications per year (there are about 10k more per year but they dont count the people who have no chance at all) only 1k gets in. The thing is that out of the 20k people about 15k are either in IB or AP. The ones in AP, though their GPA is always lower than the people in IB, have much more classes that MIT takes and recognizes. For example, take math. MIT doesn't take any IB math whatsoever, yet it takes a 4 or 5 in Calculus BC (calculus 2).

And ya, IB helps, of course, but don't think you're the only person in the world getting 7 sevens on your IB exams. The trick is to be "special" in some way. I don't like to say it because people never really pay attention to it, but unfortuanetly sports is a big thing to single you out.

In the end, though, it all comes down to how good you are as a person, obvoiusly how smart you are too :P

so GOOD LUCK to everyone and I hope to see you there in the years to come :P

@rohit : I am doing the IB diploma. Just an extra subject.

@ezex : You are right, getting into MIT is more than just grades.

My GPA: 3.92UW (I wouldn't say IB generally have a higher GPA. You know how many 4.0 there are for AP candidates? and how many for IB?)

SATi: 1500/1600 (did **** in writing)

SATii(predicted): 800s in Chem, Maths 2c and Chinese. Will take Physics later.

seven 7s is pretty special. I'd say there are roughly maybe 10 people in the world each year that achieves that. as there are 60 people who get 45 but not all of them take 7 subjects.

I am an Asian male, so it's harder for me, and the fact that I'm not a participant in any Olympiads also disadvantages me.

I've kind of given up on MIT as they are more grades orientated. Looking more at Cornell now.

Edited by Forester

The ones in AP, though their GPA is always lower than the people in IB, have much more classes that MIT takes and recognizes. For example, take math. MIT doesn't take any IB math whatsoever, yet it takes a 4 or 5 in Calculus BC (calculus 2).

And ya, IB helps, of course, but don't think you're the only person in the world getting 7 sevens on your IB exams. The trick is to be "special" in some way. I don't like to say it because people never really pay attention to it, but unfortuanetly sports is a big thing to single you out.

In the end, though, it all comes down to how good you are as a person, obvoiusly how smart you are too :(

so GOOD LUCK to everyone and I hope to see you there in the years to come :P

I agree with you but I have to mention that MIT do recognized IB Math and some other subjects such as Physic and some elective courses. If you acheive 7 in HL Math and HL Physic, you will get a transfer credit in MIT and proceed to another level like Physic II or something. Anyway, it really depends on "well-rounded", not just your intelligence.

For your future reference, Biology and Chemistry have their own tests once you get accept into MIT so that AP/IB students can test their skills and might be able to skip first year courses. MIT also do recognized AP = IB. For instance, 5 in AP = 7 in IB HL...SLs are worthless~nobody care :crying: poor SLs

Edited by Argiyama

I agree with you but I have to mention that MIT do recognized IB Math and some other subjects such as Physic and some elective courses. If you acheive 7 in HL Math and HL Physic, you will get a transfer credit in MIT and proceed to another level like Physic II or something. Anyway, it really depends on "well-rounded", not just your intelligence.

For your future reference, Biology and Chemistry have their own tests once you get accept into MIT so that AP/IB students can test their skills and might be able to skip first year courses. MIT also do recognized AP = IB. For instance, 5 in AP = 7 in IB HL...SLs are worthless~nobody care :P poor SLs

Ya you're right, I cheked again on the page and apparently they do recognize those classes you said :crying: , sorry bout that. Oh and apparently even though they don't accep the SLs, if you DID take SL Math, for example, you get to take a test and if you pass they let you skip the class, though they say that the tests are so tough that even if you were in HL math you wouldnt be able to pass :(

• 3 weeks later...