What are the standard IB offers for McGill/Schulich?

asian

Nope. Those type of things only apply to universities who give unconditional offers of admission. As far as I know, York does not give unconditional offers of admission. It really applies to universities in USA mostly.

I'm not sure about McGill though. They might offer unconditional however don't squander on your IB grades because you can get transfer credits if you do well in your higher levels.

I would recommend you work towards getting a high score and maintaining it. Getting a 38 in the final IB examinations should get you into McGill and York.

Nope. Those type of things only apply to universities who give unconditional offers of admission. As far as I know, York does not give unconditional offers of admission. It really applies to universities in USA mostly.

I'm not sure about McGill though. They might offer unconditional however don't squander on your IB grades because you can get transfer credits if you do well in your higher levels.

I would recommend you work towards getting a high score and maintaining it. Getting a 38 in the final IB examinations should get you into McGill and York.

Im sure that i can get a predicted of 37-38 but not sure if this is possible in the final.

most likely i will get 36 points. Will this still be high enough for McGill

Yes Sherry. Apply and then they will tell you all about it. But 36 sounds fine. I have friends who are going to Canada and their offer was based on their predicteds but this applied to unis other than montreal.

by that do u mean if they have predicts of 37 then the Uni would give them an offer of a similar grade?

Ye Sherry. They note your academic ability on your predicteds and then give you an offer based on that. You then get an offer and they require you to pass with let's say a minimum of 30 or 32 or whatever depending on how much they want you. Thing is with Canada you don't really know until you apply and it depends heavily on the province. For instance McMaster require a minimum of 36 for Health Sciences and that is their requirements but some and most of what I checked did not have set requirements preceding your application. I was going to apply to Canada but then realised that medical studies are far too long and quite expensive. Give me a shout by PM if you want to know more.

• 3 months later...

Even if you're in IB, Mcgill bases their admission off of your ministry mark, and then, from the vibe I got from the Mcgill representative who came to my school, treats you pretty much like anyone else who doesn't take IB. They do, however, ask your counsellor for your projected IB marks. If you get at least 30 on your IB diploma, then they allow you to skip a year of uni.

Even if you're in IB, Mcgill bases their admission off of your ministry mark, and then, from the vibe I got from the Mcgill representative who came to my school, treats you pretty much like anyone else who doesn't take IB. They do, however, ask your counsellor for your projected IB marks. If you get at least 30 on your IB diploma, then they allow you to skip a year of uni.

Don't you need a specific score in a specific subject (ie 6 in Bio HL) to skip first year, rather than just having a 30 overall?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes Mcgill doesnt look at your ib mark unless for scholarships. It will be the provincial mark they are looking at ( your transcript)

This.

I would disagree with the statement "McGill is extremely hard for IB students to get in" though, simply because it's not like you're going to be penalized or anything. Unless your regular district marks are drastically lower.

If I remember correctly, Business is mid-to-high 80s overall average over second last two years. Could be wrong; it's fairly easy to find on their website (although McGill's website is actually one of the more difficult ones to navigate, I've found.)

• 3 weeks later...

yes Mcgill doesnt look at your ib mark unless for scholarships. It will be the provincial mark they are looking at ( your transcript)

This.

I would disagree with the statement "McGill is extremely hard for IB students to get in" though, simply because it's not like you're going to be penalized or anything. Unless your regular district marks are drastically lower.

If I remember correctly, Business is mid-to-high 80s overall average over second last two years. Could be wrong; it's fairly easy to find on their website (although McGill's website is actually one of the more difficult ones to navigate, I've found.)

what i heard from my brother, whos studying in canada, is that mcgills cutoff avg's for business are around 91%.

and it states that a standard offer is 35 points for IB students, for business

This.

what i heard from my brother, whos studying in canada, is that mcgills cutoff avg's for business are around 91%.

and it states that a standard offer is 35 points for IB students, for business

That's probably right. I'm not applying to business. I never bothered to memorize all the cutoffs for all the faculties that I'm not applying to.

Again, it's really easy to check on their site, and it still fluctuates yearly.

http://www.mcgill.ca/undergraduate-admissions/programs-study/admission-criteria

Scroll down, and click on whatever region you're applying from; a window will pop up and give the admission standards for each faculty.

Note that these are the averages--there are students with lower grades who have gotten in. This is such a load off to know, in my opinion--knowing that the admission standard is a 91.5%, based on your top five subjects, to do a B. Sc. was pretty relieving for me (my 'raw' average is higher than that), as I'm incredibly nervous about my IB marks (I'm seeing so many sixes and sevens from you lot, and I have no idea yet what kind of IB mark I'd get).

Gah, I want to go to McGill. :blush:

Scroll down, and click on whatever region you're applying from; a window will pop up and give the admission standards for each faculty.

Note that these are the averages--there are students with lower grades who have gotten in. This is such a load off to know, in my opinion--knowing that the admission standard is a 91.5%, based on your top five subjects, to do a B. Sc. was pretty relieving for me (my 'raw' average is higher than that), as I'm incredibly nervous about my IB marks (I'm seeing so many sixes and sevens from you lot, and I have no idea yet what kind of IB mark I'd get).

Gah, I want to go to McGill. :)

are u sure that these are the avg. requirements?

on the link, it says:

"The values listed below are the minima that were required for admission in September 2010. Admission to McGill is competitive and subject to availability of space. As such, minimum grades for entry may fluctuate up or down in any given year. Please note that grades that are equal to or better than those listed do not guarantee admission for September 2011."

so arent these the minimum requirements?

They don't have a specific number for this year, because it all depends on how many applicants they receive. They've listed the cutoffs calculated from all of last year's applications, in order to give you a general idea for this year. No one knows the exact numbers for this year, not even McGill, because they, and certainly the users of this site, are not psychics.

If you're falling within 1 or 2 percent of a cutoff, basically they're saying "cross your fingers." Hope that clarifies things.

Gah, I want to go to McGill. :wub:

on the link, it says:

"The values listed below are the minima that were required for admission in September 2010. Admission to McGill is competitive and subject to availability of space. As such, minimum grades for entry may fluctuate up or down in any given year. Please note that grades that are equal to or better than those listed do not guarantee admission for September 2011."

You'd be right. ;) I apologise. I think I did have another link that had the averages, though I'm not sure where I found it. :P

Gah, I want to go to McGill. :wub:

on the link, it says:

You'd be right. ;) I apologise. I think I did have another link that had the averages, though I'm not sure where I found it. :P

please man, if its possible, can you please give me the standard averages for IB students. that would be amazing