IB Biology or Chemistry?

Guest rustynail

Guest rustynail

Hey guys, I'm starting my IB next year (!!) and our school's subject selections are due in really soon. I was just wondering whether any of you could give me any pointers or advice on whether I should do Chemistry or Biology (both will be at SL)... I don't actually want to study Science in my career, so it's really down to what's easiest. I'm quite good at Maths, which apparently Chemistry has quite a lot of, but I've also heard that Biology's easier in general. Any ideas? :)

THANKS SO MUCH!

To be honest, at SL, there's not much difference. Most people do prefer the non-mathematical version which is basically just memorising a bit of common sense stuff (Biology) and at my school the SL Biology class was crammed with people taking it as their one obligatory science. Whereas SL Chem had just 1 member because hardly anybody does Chemistry unless they NEED it... in which case they do HL :)

I think a lot of it is just that on the whole people find Biology a bit more interesting. There's a big difference between the two subjects at HL, but at SL neither Bio nor Chem has any really difficult concepts. I'd just go with whatever you find more enjoyable and whatever your friends are doing, to be honest.

In my experience only people who are good at maths say they prefer Chemistry to Biology from an enjoyableness aspect... but then you say that you are, so really, I can't see that it would make more sense to advise you to do one over the other. If I were you I'd download the syllabi (look in the Files section!) and just see which sounds better to you.

I should finally add that 'enjoyable' is a relative term in the IB. I would personally advise people to think very carefully before they do the IB and really assess what benefits it will bring them in the long run versus other academic courses, because it's a royal (and largely unnecessary) pain in the behind for your last two years of school and if I personally could reverse time to avoid it, I would @___@ It's a joykiller alright.

Well, it's not that much of maths in chemistry, so if you want something mathematical, go for physics. Personally, I loved chemistry, but I didn't take biology, so I'm a bit biased here :) As Sandwich say, do what feels best. Since you aren't going to pursue science it's not that much of a big deal.

I should finally add that 'enjoyable' is a relative term in the IB. I would personally advise people to think very carefully before they do the IB and really assess what benefits it will bring them in the long run versus other academic courses, because it's a royal (and largely unnecessary) pain in the behind for your last two years of school and if I personally could reverse time to avoid it, I would @___@ It's a joykiller alright.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think IB was useful, challenging and fun, in a weird sort of way. I don't regret that I chose that instead of the national programme, but afterall, that might say more about the national programme than the IB. IB is tough, but it is rewarding, so go for it! :)

Chemistry SL is pretty easy, i'd have to say that it is probably my easiest subject, but it's also one of the most fun. The maths at SL is pretty much algebra, and the concepts aren't difficult. Only 3 people in my year take SL, most to Bio SL, but we definitely enjoy chem much more than they do bio.

Guest rustynail

Lol guys, I've kind of just changed from Chemistry to Biology now. I hear that our school has better teachers.

Anyway, I hear that you dissect frogs or something in Biology! EWWW!

Lol guys, I've kind of just changed from Chemistry to Biology now. I hear that our school has better teachers.

We had to dissect cow's eyes in Pre-DP biology. That was not very pleasant.

We had to dissect cow's eyes in Pre-DP biology. That was not very pleasant.

Yeah in pre-IB my class dissected a frog and a sheep eye. I actually found it fun, but then again I'm taking HL Bio...

Edited by fire.realm

• 3 weeks later...

biology is hard (for me) and chem is quite easy but challenging (for me)

if you love calculation more than memorising, choose chemistry :) vice versa. I have just started my IB year and I think that Chem SL is pretty easy (esp if you are good at Math) and I heard from my friends that Bio is crazily challenging. do not take Bio if you are good at Math hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Which one do you like more? They're both easy at SL but liking a subject can make it even easier.

You mentioned you don't want anything scientific in your career, so I would say you wouldn't like Biology very much, since it is memorizing stuff to some people, but if you are not into it, you will find it quite challenging to know all those facts. Exactly like Sandwich said, my IB batch had 2 CRAMMED classes of BIOLOGY SL, just because they had to take one science, which I find is a mistake because some of them didn't even manage to get a 5 because they were into maths..and physics..or business.

You also mentioned that you are good at maths, chemistry SL, is not that hard but I think you would find it easier than biology SL.

Go check out the syllabi of both subjects and see which topics you find yourself more familiar with. :)