What IS the maths folio?!

Guest rustynail

Guest rustynail

Yes guys, I'm new. I don't know what the maths folio entails. Someone please help me out here? :)

I'm actually anticipating Maths SL, which means I'm going to do the exam one year early. I assume that also means that I have to do the folio by the end of year 11.

'Anticipating' is such a weird word to use for doing it a year early :); Makes it sound like you're looking forward to it something, rather than doing it in IB1! I keep hearing people use it and it's so odd :) Not just you, no worries. Foreign turn of phrase! :)

Anyway! Basically for Maths SL you do two pieces of coursework, both of which you'll be given by your teacher, who usually picks the tasks for you. It's normal and I believe technically correct (but not everybody actually sticks to this rule) to be given the coursework title and then given just a week in which to complete it. Or so our Maths teachers maintained @___@ Anyway one of them is solely Mathematically based and the other one is meant to be a model of the real world somehow. For instance the one I did was trying to find the distance between loops on a fishing rod via algebraic modelling. Clearly the importance of what it models in the real world may be stretching the realms of realism a little bit... :)

I suggest you speak to your teacher about it. Many teachers leave it until later on in the course because it requires skills which you often don't learn at the start, such as Matrices or Vectors or something, and so they can't really set you the coursework until they've covered the topic in class. Or they could, but you'd all be kinda screwed :)

In an attempt to elaborate on what Sandwich has said:

There are two types of Maths portfolios, creatively named Type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 is usually about finding patterns of some sort; for example, the Type 1 that I did was called "Logarithm bases" and in the end, I believe the last objective was to prove something about the result of changing the base of the logarithm with the same argument (my memory is a bit hazy). The Type 1 that other people in my class submitted was about matrices, and apparently had something to do with binomial theorem; I wouldn't know, as I didn't even bother to do it.

Type 2s are just modeling. The questions may change slightly from Type 2 to Type 2, but they're all basically the same. You're given some data, told to make some models for it, and then you're given a different set of data and asked if your original model fits that data. It never does, so you then just change your model a little until it fits. I like Type 2s quite a lot, actually; I ended up doing three of them over the course of Maths SL. They're all essentially the same, but my favourite was easily "Fishing Rods," because it didn't force you to hunt for new data (BMI) and it just didn't seem as ludicrous as some of the others (*Cough* Crows Dropping Nuts *cough*).

It's normal and I believe technically correct (but not everybody actually sticks to this rule) to be given the coursework title and then given just a week in which to complete it.

Our teacher said that 10 schooldays was the rule! But I suppose it varies.

It's worth 20 percent of the total maths grade, maximum point is 20 and the school corrects it and IB moderates it.

Tilia: We had 10 days... you had 10 school days... ARGH! That's like two weeks.

We were given it like a week before christmas break, so in fact we had like a month.