Are smart people more introverted than their less intelligent counterparts?

Hey, just voice your opinions!!!!!

Are smart people more introverted than less intelligent people. To me, it seems as if the REALLY smart people are in a world of their own and are perfectly content with being by themselves.

I don't know, maybe that;s just what it seems to me??? :)

Edited by saunders is god

Hey, just voice your opinions!!!!!

Are smart people more introverted than less intelligent people. To me, it seems as if the REALLY smart people are in a world of their own and are perfectly content with being by themselves.

I don't know, maybe that;s just what it seems to me??? :)

Then I must be more on the smart side :) jking

I think those who are better at studying generally have a group of stable friends, but only those friends. They rarely go meet other people, coz they think studying is more important than knowing people at this point of life? But there are exceptions, some go flirt, but rare.

Spontaneous thought; the sharpest people I know are not introverted. Of course there are all kinds of intelligent people, and I've met those who are ridiculously smart and just keep to themselves, but this is not a generalization I would make to characterize intelligent individuals.

Although, (here it comes..) it depends on how you define "being smart". One can be a total math genious but then not even have social skills enough to ask for a plasic bag at the supermarket.

I thought, how would I put my definition. And I just figured, I'd want to apply the presumptions for intelligent life on a planet (not official just my own reflections!):

1. The species must have insight and understand the concept of adaption - itself to the environment; the environment to itself.

2. The species must have an ability to communicate amongst its fellow specimen.

Those who apply to this, are the very smartest, to me :)

Edit:

And yeah for the environment enter what feels relevant to the situation, for e.g. jungle, the capitalist society, Jupiter, etc.

Edited by Narcissist

Spontaneous thought; the sharpest people I know are not introverted. Of course there are all kinds of intelligent people, and I've met those who are ridiculously smart and just keep to themselves, but this is not a generalization I would make to characterize intelligent individuals.

Although, (here it comes..) it depends on how you define "being smart". One can be a total math genious but then not even have social skills enough to ask for a plasic bag at the supermarket.

I thought, how would I put my definition. And I just figured, I'd want to apply the presumptions for intelligent life on a planet (not official just my own reflections!):

1. The species must have insight and understand the concept of adaption - itself to the environment; the environment to itself.

2. The species must have an ability to communicate amongst its fellow specimen.

Those who apply to this, are the very smartest, to me :)

sorry but i fail to understand the biological analogy :)

maybe coz i dont take bio ????

Hahah maybe it's just me failing the 2.

If I put it like this?

1. A smart person must have insight and understand the concept of adaption - himself to the environment; the environment to himself.

Thus - he must be able to make use of what is around him; whether that'd be the laws of physics or a monetary system.

2. A smart person must have an ability to communicate amongst his fellow peers.

That is - he must be able to interact socially.

So, the individual which succesfully proceeds with above stated, I'd point at as "intelligent".

Try entering Einstein, Stalin, Barack Obama or whatever. Quite fun.

Edited by Narcissist

Hahah maybe it's just me failing the 2.

If I put it like this?

1. A smart person must have insight and understand the concept of adaption - himself to the environment; the environment to himself.

Thus - he must be able to make use of what is around him; whether that'd be the laws of physics or a monetary system.

2. A smart person must have an ability to communicate amongst his fellow peers.

That is - he must be able to interact socially.

So, the individual which succesfully proceeds with above stated, I'd point at as "intelligent".

Try entering Einstein, Stalin, Barack Obama or whatever. Quite fun.

narcissist, quite a philosophical analysis you've made :). But my question was whether these "intelligent" people are introverted or not?, Not , what is intelligence? sorry if i sound confusing but i hope you understand what im trying to say :)

Edited by saunders is god

I think very studious people are introverted, because they tend to spend a lot of their time with their books and such. Not so much "intelligent" people.

But I suppose I can see what you mean; some people, I find, have 'tall poppy syndrome' (search it) and therefore are socially awkward because of this 'tall poppy' status (i.e. they have trouble identifying with other people and are teased by them).

Just my two cents...

• Like 1

I think very studious people are introverted, because they tend to spend a lot of their time with their books and such. Not so much "intelligent" people.

But I suppose I can see what you mean; some people, I find, have 'tall poppy syndrome' (search it) and therefore are socially awkward because of this 'tall poppy' status (i.e. they have trouble identifying with other people and are teased by them).

Just my two cents...

Gotta agree. A Chinese saying: 樹大招風. big trees get blown by wind (sounds awkward in English but I think you can get what it means)

I'm not sure how much I'd agree with this. Certainly a lot of very intelligent people are introverts, but equally there are lots of extroverts. I know two people who got 45 in their IB, for instance, and one was an introvert (autistic, actually), one an extrovert. Many of the more 'gifted' kids at my school were extroverts. Very loud, irritating, big-headed, self-adoring extroverts :) Aka unmistakeable...

Based solely on my personal experience in life, I think that there's probably a reasonably even spread. I'd guess that whatever the proportion of extroverts : introverts in the population is, that that would be the spread among intelligence ranges too. I've never noticed a bias amongst those I know.

• Like 1

narcissist, quite a philosophical analysis you've made :). But my question was whether these "intelligent" people are introverted or not?, Not , what is intelligence? sorry if i sound confusing but i hope you understand what im trying to say :)

Point is, put your any person into my "smart guy (1,2) definition", see to what extent he is "intelligent" for the two components and then compare this with the extent to which he is "introverted".

And you should have the answer, are smart people introverted or not. :)

Define your version of 'SMART'...then replace your answer wherever the word 'smart' has come in any reply till now..

Basically, I think, what I'm implying.

Edited by Narcissist

I think I agree with Sandwich.

To me, it seems as if the REALLY smart people are in a world of their own and are perfectly content with being by themselves.

From my cultural perspective [which is shared by many other cultures--I'm not trying to contain the ideal here], there's a push to learn and educate yourself so that you can apply the knowledge and help others, so I see too many people who are not content isolating themselves for your comment to seem true. There are lots of people are content with the life of a luxurious hermit, I'm sure. But I don't think there's a simple relationship between level of intelligence and social patterns.

I don't know if you meant to use the term introvert. I'm kind of an introvert, but I have to be outgoing. I organize clubs and events and deal with communications and relations, so one label doesn't fit the bill. I don't isolate myself, but that doesn't mean I'm not shy or reserved.

I'm not genius, but when I'm around people who are not as smart as me in Subject X, I try to be humble. I don't want praise or resentment. And when I'm around people who are better at me in Subject X, I try to act 'normal' and kid around. I'm more introverted when I don't want to be seen as the more intelligent person and I'm more of an extrovert in the opposite situation. It's some messed up version of the Golden Rule. So I guess, to a degree, I can understand smart:introvert::not-as-smart:extrovert, but the reasoning's different, and I still don't agree.

• 2 weeks later...

we can't generalize of course but in my opinion the most intelligent people are those who actually know how to balance their social life and studies (: (and they actually exist! haha)

answering your question, my IB class is filled with all kind of people but i think most of us know wether to be calm or express all we feel according to the situation.

The really smart people hide the fact that they're smart. Contrary to popular belief, being smart is a hindrance after a certain point.

Only stupid people want to appear smart.

I sort of agree with this. One of my friends is super smart but hates telling people what mark she got on a test, assignment, etc. because then people say "Oh you're so smart" and I don't think she likes the attention much and she doesn't want to make other people feel bad.

But then again I know a few smart people who brag and some who'll tell you how they did but won't brag about it.

Yeah I know some not-so-smart people in my class who try to appear smart...The one time they do well on something they brag excessively about it and everyone thinks that they're the smartest person in the class xP And then they ask you "What did you get?" only because they know you did worse than they did for once and they want to make sure everyone knows that. It doesn't take very long to figure out who these people are though lol. Sorry if it sounded a bit like a rant but honestly I get so irritated by these people.

• Like 1

There are different types of intelligence though... besides, you can't simply say that the really smart people are the one's who hide they're smart, and the one's who are "stupid" try to appear smart. There are people who aren't smart at school subjects but are totally gifted for music or social relations... they don't try to appear smart but they don't hide the fact that they are good at playing an instrument neither. To be proud of yourself and telling others the achievments you've made after hours, days or months of studying/practicing is not a synonym of bragging or "being stupid"

Please explain what you meant by saying that "being smart is a hindrance after a certain point"