Tide Modelling IA

Guest whatever

Guest whatever

portfolio description - they give us a set of data , and say we have to find a function for it .

Well i did , and then they say check if it fits the data exactly , well it doesn't ! So then...

4) modify the function to create a better fit ?

how can i do that ? can you guys just give me ways or somthing?

If anyone did it before , can you just send it to me on email?

portfolio description - they give us a set of data , and say we have to find a function for it .

Well i did , and then they say check if it fits the data exactly , well it doesn't ! So then...

4) modify the function to create a better fit ?

how can i do that ? can you guys just give me ways or somthing?

If anyone did it before , can you just send it to me on email?

Well I'd have to look at the data to tell you exactly what to look for, though if it's anything like the "modeling the amount of a drug in the bloodstream" IA then I can tell you to do an exponential regression instead of linear. I don't know if you're understanding what this means, so let me explain:

Get your TI, if you have one, and put the data in a table. Then just go to the "stat" button and go to "calc". There you should have linear regression and a bunch of others. Try linear first, "LinReg(a+bx)", then try "ExpReg". One of the two is bound to fit better (it could also be a power function, which are a little trickier, try it if you want, though it's probably not it)

Oh and if you can send me a copy of the IA so I can take a look at it.

Ehm... Sorry to be a b*tch, but:

I don't know if you did send the IA, but

1) It's not smart to send your IAs to people you don't know, who knows, they might steal it. This is nothing personal ezex, but you never know about people on the Internet.

2) It's against the IB rules to send the IAs to other people for modification / to show them. You won't get your diploma if you get caught. Besides even if you don't get caught it's not too appropriate to have other people help you with your IA in a direct way.

3) This is a public forum which the IBO checks out every once in a while (they've contacted the administration before). They might not be too thrilled about posts saying "send your IA" - who knows, maybe they'd consider legal action against the site. We definitely don't want that!

This is just my opinion, so feel free to disagree!

oi! no IAs moving about here! especially not math ones! seriously you'll only hurt yourself. I doubt the IBO will sue the forum since the forum had nothing to do with it. But I will edit his post so that it doesn't say that anymore :S I'll leave your post here for future reference for any such behavior in the future :S

oi! no IAs moving about here! especially not math ones! seriously you'll only hurt yourself. I doubt the IBO will sue the forum since the forum had nothing to do with it. But I will edit his post so that it doesn't say that anymore :S I'll leave your post here for future reference for any such behavior in the future :S

I said copy of the IA meaning the worksheet :) I was looking around for the paper with the questions...not his answers. Ask him about it, he sent me the paper with the questions after i posted the thing. Sorry it looked wrong though :S I didnt mean to.

I said copy of the IA meaning the worksheet :D I was looking around for the paper with the questions...not his answers. Ask him about it, he sent me the paper with the questions after i posted the thing. Sorry it looked wrong though :D I didnt mean to.

Ban him, I say! Then feed him to the lions!

• 1 month later...

I need help with Question 4

4) Modify the function to create a better fit.

i don't the question. some told me that i have to change the value of the function a little bit. and other told me to phase shift graph. if i use the regression tool to get a new function for this question, then it is the same thing as Question 6.

6) Use the regression freature of your GDC to develop a best-fit function.

Can anyone help me with that?

4) when I did my IA, i found that the calculator regression function worked the best if i re-entered the data to continue to graph in a second period, but when I restricted the domain to reflect strictly the data given, it was more advantageous to do a phase shift or slightly modify the amplitude to make it better suit your data.

6) is this question refering to having your graphing calculator generate a best fit function for you? because if it is, its really easy to do, but it depends on which calculator you are using.